Logo

Wiring Diagram on J70LCD

Drow Kinetic

I took my power head off to put new gasket in. I had to undo some wires to be able to set it aside. After putting the power head back on and hooking everything back up it doesn't even try to crank. It was running perfect before. Any suggestions? I am almost positive I hooked all the wires back up correct.

Battery and all connections are good. Can take the power cable to starter and it turns over. Already replaced selinoid and it still didn't work.

What fuses are there on power head? Can only find the 2 that go through the trim harness.

I believe the main fuse is in the red lead near the solenoid. Or at least that is true on most models.

Nevertheless, you should be making a few simple voltage tests instead of guessing and buying parts. You already bought a solenoid that you didn't need. Check the voltage on the two small posts on the solenoid while somebody turns the key to start and tell us exactly what results you get.

When ignition is turned to crank I am getting 12 volts on both side posts but nothing from one that goes to starter.

Ok, assuming you have the correct solenoid, and not a Ford one, that tells us that the one that is supposed to be grounded isn't. I also assume it doesn't click, right? Concerning the "ground" don't forget that the negative battery cable and connection is part of it.

When ignition is turned to crank I am getting 12 volts on both side posts but nothing from one that goes to starter.

BOTH side posts.....but nothing from the one that goes to starter.....

??????????? Makes no sense. One of the "side posts" goes to starter, other goes to battery.

I asked him to check the voltages on the two small posts and report back what he is getting. I assume that is what he did. There should be 12V on one only. The other is grounded, completing the circuit through the solenoid's pull-in coil. He says he is getting 12V on both, meaning the second one isn't grounded.

Of course you asked him to check....you know whatever....voltages...etc.

The whole point is that he is posting wrong info....jeezuz....how can we answer if the input info is so wrong? Guess?

Of course you asked him to check....you know whatever....voltages...etc.

The whole point is that he is posting wrong info....jeezuz....how can we answer if the input info is so wrong? Guess?

I'm giving the information as I get it. 2 large posts, top and bottom. One is main straight from battery and one is main straight to starter. 2 small posts, one from ignition and one is ground. When I turn key to on position it is about .1 volts on BOTH side posts. When I turn key fully to crank position BOTH side posts jump to 12 volts. Even the ground.

Obviously going by replys its not supposed to be doing that. Its not the selinoid as its already been replaced with a new one.

i am assuming no click to tell you that the solenoid is picking?the solenoid is nothing but a relay...the two small post are the pick to the relay....one side of the pick goes to 12 volts when the key is turned..the other side is ground...if you are reading 12v on both sides of the pick then you have no ground...

the negative post of your battery is ground...set your meter on rx1....you should read zero ohms or close to it from your negative battery post to the block of the engine....and you should have the same reading to the ground side of the pick of the start solenoid...

Oh....as the light bulb goes on....now I see what you are saying. Your solenoid is ORIENTED (on a 70) with the two large posts running vertically.
Side posts...to me that says the large posts are oriented side to side.....so I will now refer to them as large and small posts.....

The large posts are wired properly per your description. One to battery positive, the other to starter. If I remember right, the one going to the battery is the bottom one, top one is to starter.

So, now....if you have +12v on both of the small posts when you have key in start position, then you have an open to ground on the small post that is meant to be connected to ground.
I concur with papyson on this.

So, one small post should have a yellow/red wire on it the other should be black. Wire colors may be hard to tell due to wire age.
That black wire is not grounded properly. Remove it from the post, and use another wire of same size to jump directly from that post to a known good ground location on the block.
Retry.

there is a possibility that he has a high resistance in the negative wire coming off the battery ....depends on how close he is looking at the 12v on each side of the pick coil when he has the 12v there...remote but possible..or a bad ground on the motor end...

Well at any rate, the solenoid is not picking.
Since he has 12v at both small terminals,he needs to look over his grounds.

Back