Logo

BF90 Tilt N Triim went out?

wijames

I don't use tilt /trim much as I keep my toon in a high and dry but last week when I was doing the maintenance I went to check the hydraulic fluid I noticed that when I tried to tilt the motor up it when up fine for a few seconds and then started just going up in short spurts. I put it back down and it went fine but wouldn’t go back up. Any ideas about what it might be?

First thing to check is the hydraulic fluid. When you top it off, move the motor up and down several times, then let it sit and check level again. You may need to do this several times. Then check for leaks around the outside. If none of that works, then you likely have a stuck ball valve inside.

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend. I didn't have a big screwdriver with me to put the motor up manually last weekend to get the fluid checked. I thought it might be the motor because I can hear it when I push the down button but not when I push the up. If the ball is stuck, is there a easy fix or is it off to the shop?

If the motor is operating even one way, it is probably good - it operates in forward or reverse depending on which of the two leads has power. When they fail, they tend to fail completely. Typically there are two relays, one for up, and one for down. It could be a bad relay or a loose/corroded wire on the up relay. I don't know exactly where they are on that motor. If you follow the wire coming from the T/T motor it goes into a connector. Disconnect that and test for 12 volts on each lead when you activate the T/T switch (and switch on) - I think the blue wire is the up lead and the green wire is the down lead. (I could have that reversed.) If you follow that wire further, it will lead you to the relays. On my 225 it's a torturous route.

If the motor is operating even one way, it is probably good - it operates in forward or reverse depending on which of the two leads has power. When they fail, they tend to fail completely. Typically there are two relays, one for up, and one for down. It could be a bad relay or a loose/corroded wire on the up relay. I don't know exactly where they are on that motor. If you follow the wire coming from the T/T motor it goes into a connector. Disconnect that and test for 12 volts on each lead when you activate the T/T switch (and switch on) - I think the blue wire is the up lead and the green wire is the down lead. (I could have that reversed.) If you follow that wire further, it will lead you to the relays. On my 225 it's a torturous route.
Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily on my motor the relays are in a little box right on the side of the motor with easy access.

My tilt relays on my 1997 are port side, down low near the cylinder head. A black box. Look to the stern of the starter.

If his tilt motor rotates when he hits the up and down then relays are fine. I hope you're only low on fluid!!

Last edited:
My tilt relays on my 1997 are port side, down low near the cylinder head. A black box. Look to the stern of the starter.

If his tilt motor rotates when he hits the up and down then relays are fine. I hope you're only low on fluid!!
Thats my hope as well. Last time I tried, the motor would go down but not up.

Back