Logo

No power Honda 225

Romanco104

I was out fishing and my motor beeped a couple of times then shut down there seems to be absolutely no power even all the gauges are not working. Battery has full charge, all fuses are good. hopefully someone can give me a suggestion

I would first check all the cables and the connections. Several times I have seen a cable that "looks good" have corrosion at the crimp..also check where ground attaches to block. Let us know what you find

I would first check all the cables and the connections. Several times I have seen a cable that "looks good" have corrosion at the crimp..also check where ground attaches to block. Let us know what you find
Thank you I found a broken black wire coming out of the engine and I repaired it but I still have no power my trim tabs work now though

Where exactly was that black wire coming from? Two possibilities - 1. You blew the 150 amp AGC (Alternator) fuse, or (2) you blew the programmed fuel injection main relay. If you do not have access to the Helm shop manual, I would suggest you get your boat to a dealer for diagnostics to find the problem.

See if your trim switch on the motor works. If not, you are not getting power to the engine. So it is back to the battery, connections, battery cables, or battery switch.

If it does work, then I am with Chawk, the troubleshooting is going to get a bit more complicated.

Mike

I would still check to see if the engine trim works with the switch on the engine. Depending on the answer, that could help the mechanic zero in on the problem a little faster....which should equate to being a quicker analysis.

Let us know the outcome.

Mike

I would still check to see if the engine trim works with the switch on the engine. Depending on the answer, that could help the mechanic zero in on the problem a little faster....which should equate to being a quicker analysis.

Let us know the outcome.

Mike
Hey Mike after I fixed the black wire going into the motor the trim tabs started to work but still have no power. I also switched the connections at the ignition switch to the other ignition switch to see if it was the problem was there but that is not it ether. All I can say is I wish I was a little more mechanically inclined.

There is a fuse that will disable ignition. I can't remember which one exactly, I want to say it's a10 amp, but it's on the port side and not in fuse block

Skooter - I was not aware of such a fuse. Is it in the wiring harness?

Romanco104 - The trim tabs are usually on an entirely different circuit and are often wired directly to the battery, so the fact that they work simply demonstrates that the battery is not entirely dead. As Hondadude ask: Does the tilt/trim switch on the side of the engine work the motor up and down? That should work regardless whether you have power to the key switch. If it does not work, first re-inspect the #3 fuse. That fuse also supplies power to the ECM, if my recollection is still good.

If all the fuses are ok, but still no power to the engine. their is 3 main wire from the battery and main switch. one negative wire from battery,other two big and small wires together from main battery switch(positive ),mostly this small wire get broke,then no power to engine, you have mentioned you heard beep sound while running then went off,that beep sound is when power cut and and reconnect, if this is the problem, trace the main wire and you can find it easy.

wajira

If all the fuses are ok, but still no power to the engine. their is 3 main wire from the battery and main switch. one negative wire from battery,other two big and small wires together from main battery switch(positive ),mostly this small wire get broke,then no power to engine, you have mentioned you heard beep sound while running then went off,that beep sound is when power cut and and reconnect, if this is the problem, trace the main wire and you can find it easy.

wajira

He is onto something here. I had my motor start cutting off intermittently offshore, thought it was my kill switch acting up. Turned out to be a wire in the harness that had been binding when the motor was tilted completely up. The wiring bundle would bend after contact with the transom floor when I tilted it all the way up. After awhile, it separated. Easy fix once we figured it out. I think it was grey.

We are in the same boat. 225 Honda....got to the marina, put the motor up to drain out the salt water. Went back the next day and the engine tilt switch didn't work. Two brand new fully charged batteries. There's power to the control panel, electronics working, bilge okay, but no power going to the engine. Checked every fuse with a tester, every wire, every crimp, cleaned the ground wire on the motor...when we tested the ground wire, we got continuity, then it went off, then again, then off....not sure what's causing that. Anyone else run into this?

Describe exactly how you were testing the ground.

As a first step, if you have a battery selector switch, rotate the switch a bunch of times. Those contacts in the switch will corrode, especially around saltwater.

If that doesn't help, use an auto jumper cable and connect from battery ground to a good ground on the engine. Usually, the lift ring mounted on the engine will work well. If that works, then one of your ground wires coming off the battery may be internally corroded.

Otherwise, you will need to go on a rabbit hunt to find the bad ground connection.

Back