Logo

Johnson 30hp waterpump woes....

lurchernz

So I rekitted my water pump. I noticed one strange thing in the kit and that was that the long, branched seal that goes into the plastic pump housing round the cup seemed like a loose fit compared to the old one. I went with it anyhow and got outboard back together. It pumps great a heap of water comes out the pee tube but water also comes out of the relief hole about 1/2 way up the leg so there must be a seal issue? What's the most likely cause of the leak?

it is a 96, a guy on iboats reckoned it was normal, I don't think I've noticed it before? its not water coming from the exhaust relief -its down where the rubber bit of the motor mount attaches to the leg. I pulled everything apart I replaced the seal I was worried about from the original pump. I noticed that the copper pipe that the water pump feeds to looked a bit short, pulled it straightened (it had a slight bend). This lengthened it considerably. Put everything back together and she pumps like champ out the pee hole but still water comes out the hole about halfway up the leg.

So yeah it was a new grommet on the pump that hooks up to the water tube and it was the copper water tube i straightened it has a bow in it and this shortened it. The driveshaft has an isolator tube with orings at each end and this is good with new Orings, So I'm struggling to see that I have an issue this surely must be normal?

I believe I answered this question correctly where you posted it on another forum. I explained where the water is coming from and why it is normal. Go back and read it there.

I believe I answered this question correctly where you posted it on another forum. I explained where the water is coming from and why it is normal. Go back and read it there.

Yeah and I took the boat for a run in the river yesterday and the motor runs great, now I am waiting for is the skin on my knuckle to grow back and all will be well with the world!!!

Back