Logo

Prop for 87 Johnson VRO

Gday everyone, I have a 1980 Swiftcraft Seagull MKII. It has an 87 60hp Johnson VRO and I need to know what pitch and diameter is recommended. Also, i would love to know the recommended WOT and running range for the outboard.:confused:

Any help will be greatly appreciated Best Regards Swiftcraft60JohnsonVRO

1406843789785.jpg1406843788865.jpg

I believe the 60hp is 4500-5500 rpms and you size the prop according to WOT rpms. With a light load in the boat you should be around 5500rpms. That boat looks like it has alot of weight up front try different trim angles and loading the boat different you will find the best combination and check WOT rpms. Figure 200 rpms for every inch of pitch. Say you have a 14 inch pitch and your engine only gets 5000 rpms max try a prop with 12 inch pitch will bring it closer to 5500 rpms. The 60hp is basically a detuned 70hp the WOT range for the 70hp is 5000-6000rpms. What is the WOT rpms your getting now and what is the size and pitch of your prop?

Thanks very much, I dont know what my current pitch and diameter is as there are no markings on my prop. it originally has an aluminium prop but it came with a stainless one that has been repaired, i have to use it now because the rubber bush in the aluminium one failed 2 weekends ago. i would like to find out though.:)
also, my speedo works but my tacho doesnt,

Last edited:
I just had her out for the weekend and she ran better than ever with the Stainless prop. The tacho is stuck on 2000 RPM's and wont reset i believe that the needle is corroded in the one spot. i did some top speed runs with her and she reaches 45 KPH with a full 30l esky(full of fish) 45 liters of fuel and two adults on board. Im really happy with it now and i also managed to ID the Aluminium prop so I might look into getting another but I think I will be fine.
Thanks for all the help!:cool:

My VRO system doesn't work and it has been disconnected by the previous owner's father. I just pre-mix 50:1 and she runs like a dream.:)
I have no real problems with the outboard, she is a bit thirsty though. :( I am getting it all serviced by Aquaholics outboard servicers in the next few weeks so it will be in all round good condition.;)

Back