Logo

Mercury 9.8

Jessee

I recently bought this engine and I know nothing about it. Only info I've got is that it's an 2 cylinder 2 stroke with 9.8 hp. Below some pictures, does anybody know what model this is, when it's build and maybe have some more info about these?

Thanks already.

2014-11-09 19.59.04.jpg2014-11-09 19.59.13.jpg2014-11-09 21.47.35.jpg10678760_657941594304701_8206856836829548761_n.jpg

????----1985 is the last year listed for production of the 9.8 model.--------------Decals appear to be newer.-----------Can you find a serial # on it.-------Install a new impeller before using it.

Yes I do, serial is 9445305. Al ready ordered new impeller and water pump house, seems like the engine has got really hot, so the pump house got unusable.

If it got really hot you need to remove the powerhead to inspect plastic washer at the top of the water tube,------It often melts on severe overheat.----You might want to remove the bypass cover ( 3 screws ) to inspect pistons and rings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info all! Where would this bypass cover be? I don't really know what it is. And the powerhead, is that just the cylinderhead? Sorry for all my questions, I'm a rooky with this.

The entire engine assembly is referred to as the " powerhead "---------Note there is no conventional cylinderhead on these motors.------------Bypass cover is on the starboord side of the block long narrow cover with 3 screws.

Took it off and it looked quite good. There ofcourse was some soot on the pistons but I guess that's nothing special. Did not manage to take a picture though.

Alright I'll try it as soon as possible. First need to buy a compression gauge though.

If the piston ring(s) are broken and need to be replaced, is that a hard job and is it expensive? I bought this Mercury to fix it up for a quick flip but it takes some more work then I expected :p.

Did not manage to buy a compression gauge just yet.

I did however replace the waterpump house and impeller and fitted the shaft back on. I also checked the piston rings and they just spring back like they're supposted to do. I do have one question: is it normal that I can see the shift rod from outside? I'll add a picture to the post so you can see what I mean.

14.jpg

Ah, anybody knows from what year the decals are? Can't seem to find them.. And is is normal that I can see the shift rod from the outside?

Visit ----------nymarine--------for a look at decals.--------I have a bunch of the 85 models and the shift rod is visible.

Last edited:
Ah, anybody knows from what year the decals are? Can't seem to find them.. And is is normal that I can see the shift rod from the outside?
First, the serial# range for 1985 Belgium assembled 9.8s is 9418306 - 9445985, so your outboard was assembled in 1985. (Belgium also assembled 9.8s in 1986, whereas in North America 1986 was the first year of the "new" 9.9s) North American 1985 9.8 decals were the 3 colour "brown band" design, also used in 1983-84. In 1986, the 9.9 model used the grey w/ red stripe decals, the same colour scheme as your decals. My guess is that Merc wanted to get rid of remaining 9.8s in the Euro market, but wanted to give them a fresh look, so the newer grey/red decals where used in 1985-86, just a slight modification to the hp tag.

The last year for " red band " was 1971.---So post your picture.----The full serial # is needed but it falls in the 67 / 68 year range.

Last edited:
Can I still get parts for it because it has a bad fuel line that leaking it has fitting on both ends can't just replace hose
also when you shift it reverse locks in neutral but forward you can turn it and it clicks won't lock up can you adjust or is it major problem?

Back