Logo

steering wheel issue

islandboy123

Contributing Member
hello, i have a honda bf200 center console boat with a seastar hydraulic steering. sometimes when i am turning the wheel i hear a clicking sound and also the steering feels a lil loose to me . like spins to freely at higher speeds and hear clicking sounds at the steering wheel when turning

does anybody know what it could be if it need fluid or something or need to rebleed?

not sure if this is the right thread to post this

thanks

Yes, you might get better answers in the steering and control section http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?1018-Boat-Steering-and-Engine-Controls

That being said.....the first thing I would do is take the cap off of the fill at the helm and see if there is any fluid in there. Most likely, you will not see any.....indicating that you need to bleed the system.

Depending of when the last time you topped off the fluid level, you may have a leak in the system. Check to be sure that the hose connections at the helm are dry. The most likely place for a leak is the cylinder seals mounted on the engine. If it is leaking there, you should replace the seals (if the piston is not rough) before you bleed it.

Be sure to only use Sea Star Steering Fluid. It is costly, but you should not use just any hydraulic fluid. Sea Star Fluid is of the same quality as aircraft hydraulic fluid.

Procedures for bleeding can be found on the Sea Star Steering web site.

Mike

Call Butch he is a expert at them and easy to talk to very helpful ,I have drove almost 2 hrs to have him work on mine just because he is reasonable and knowledgeable
727-400-4746 or their web page
www,boatsteeringrebuilders.com

please update us with what issue was

thanks
Jamie

Back