Logo

Temperature Gauge Issue? Try This

Temperature Gauge an Issue? Try This:

The temperature gauges on my 1980 Gibson 42' Houseboat didn'twork. I figured it was like other marine gauges that work when theywant to.

For an unrelated issue I purchased a Johnson Pumps 10-24228-1 F5B-9 Crankshaft Pump to replace theoriginal raw water pump on the port side. The pump work so good about a month later I replaced the starboard side.

Ever since the replacement my temperaturegauges started working. Apparently thetemperature sensors on the 270 Crusaders need water to work! The engines run about 140 degrees.

The pumps move a tremendous amount of waterthrough the engines. The tone of theengines are lower are physically cooler than before the replacement.

I have received so much from these forumsthat I decided to contribute!

See you in the spring...

Capt. Ron

Mississippi River
Le Claire Iowa

Ayuh,.... Raw water pumps are pretty important, 'n a regular maintenance issue,...

Got any pictures of yer pumps,..?

Ron, I have been a big proponent of the Johnson crankshaft pumps for quite some years.
No belt tension side loads, and they tend to go for years without problems.
Very easy impeller access that allows for impeller removal for the winter layup.

The F5B-9 is the small volume..... F6B-9 is the large volume.
The older Jabsco large volume pump impeller is almost identical to the F6B-9 impeller, with only .090" difference in depth separating the two.
Use caution when buying the replacement large volume pump impellers!

Unless in salt water, your 140 temp is too low!

Back