Logo

Water Pump Problem Merc 1978 80Hp

surgemc

I have replaced the water pump on my 1978 80hp Mercury outboard but am getting no water out of the tell tale. As this is a project boat and I have never seen it running before I got it, just want to know firstly is the tell-tale the small outlet on the starboard side of the engine which is connected to a rubber hose than goes into the top of the block. Secondly will I do any harm if I blow air into this outlet to clear any blockages.Thanks.

No harm blow compressed air thru tell-tale hole. You should do that while the lower unit is out. Place your finger on the water tube to feel the air blow thru before reassemble your lower unit. Make sure your water tube line up and make sure water tube seal is in place.

Before going to all that trouble, see if the motor is actually overheating: Place your hand on the left side exhaust plate when it's up to temperature. and see if you can keep your hand there. If you can then blow some compressed air up the Tell Tale with the motor running--that usually clears a blockage.

Jeff

Thanks Gents, I blew out a clump of something from the tell-tale tube and now have water flow although only what I consider to be a trickle. will try it in a tank of water and hopefully will get a better output than with the muffs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I placed the motor in a drum of water and had great flow out of the tell tale. One further question, should water come out of the 2 rectangular holes on the back of the motor?

Back