Logo

'66 80hp Engine Removal

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
I want to remove the power head from my '66 80hp Starflite. Ive attached two pictures for reference. Are the bolts I have arrows to what I need to remove to lift it out? ThanksView attachment 10207

Last edited:
Sorry but you need to do some more research.------And I think you need to remove the 2 lower cowlings for this job.--------Front half and back half need to be removed.

Couple of bolts you were going to take out are mounts and have nothing to do with pulling the powerhead.-----Have done lots of these, but not in the last 15 years.

Thanks Raceone. I see the two you're talking about that go to the rubber mounts. I need to remove the engine from the boat then I can get at the lower front and lower rear motor covers. I'm going to repaint the motor cover and lower end this winter so need to take it apart. I'll post pictures as I take apart so others can see the process.View attachment 1021280hp Starflite Rubber Mount Bolts.jpg

Attachments

• 80hp Starflite Power Head Attaching Nuts.jpg
    80hp Starflite Power Head Attaching Nuts.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
No harm done, but you should have removed both the lower and upper (pan) rear covers as a single piece. Then remove the front lower cover (pan), to access the nuts toward the front of the powerhead. Do not remove the mount bolts

Back to taking apart to paint. I removed front and rear lower motor covers and the gear case. The manual says to remove carb, leaf valve assembly, fuel pump, hoses, coil, flywheel ring gear cover, distributor, starter, etc. I didn't remove any of them except took the 4 screws out to the thermostat housing. I did remove the 6 nuts and 6 screws that hold the power head to the lower unit. Used my forklift to remove the power head.
DSCN1826.jpgDSCN1827.jpgDSCN1828.jpg

Last edited:
Back