Logo

Yamaha or Mercury

Jerryjerry05

Outstanding Contributor
Thinking of getting a 99 Mercury 225 or 97 Yam 225.
Was wondering about the economy and comparing the Yam to a Mer
Both are EFI both run good.
Pros and cons from every one who owns either.
Gonna post this in the Yamaha section too.

I heard the Yams are a bit harder on gas.
Was wondering why as they use almost the same fuel system??

Thanks,J

I would get the yamaha. Mercury FI outboards are more expensive to repair. ex...the VST filter on the HP pump is a few hundred dollars. The pump is also $$$$ and prone to failure.

Fuel injected outboards are not any more fuel efficient than carbed outboards, unless they are direct injected.

What OB's are direct injected?

So if I buy a 200hp carbed it's as good on gas as a EFI??
Then why make it?
Yea I had a 225Mer and the pumps were very costly!!!

Usually (actually almost all the time) an electronic application is cheaper to manufacture. Everyone gets hung up in OH| "electronics" so it must be expensive/better. Not so ,Also Mechanical is more failsafe, electro is proprietary and brings the manufacturer more money in repairs. (not to mention reprogramming etc.) Yes a carbed engine will get the same gas mileage as a fuel injection at the same sustained speed, which a boat motor doen't really change throttle positions as much as you do in your car around town (Carbed car has to rely on a lil squirt from the accelerator pump so as to make up for the lag of the vaccum decrease when you press the accelerator. so there is a little waste. almost unmeasurable except by epa standards.
At pgh boat show couple years ago I was in a discussion/negotiation to buy a merc 350 c.i. IO in a Cobalt. I was complaining about the Fuel injection, I did not want an additional electronic gizmo to break and strand me out on lake Erie or anywhere else. Merc rep later tracked me down and offered me the same new engine with a carborator option, (more money of course) he told me that Merc offers them with a carb as most experienced charter boat captains will not do electronic ignition. etc etc. and they do not want to strand or be liable for their paying passengers.
an
What OB's are direct injected?

So if I buy a 200hp carbed it's as good on gas as a EFI??
Then why make it?
Yea I had a 225Mer and the pumps were very costly!!!

Back