Logo

Remote tank fuel fittings question.

T_Birdman

Hello folks! New member here with a need for some help. I recently picked up a 1981 Gamefisher 7.5 outboard, model# 217585940 off Craigslist for my sons 14' Jon boat and I've had a hard time finding the female quick connect fuel fitting to run a remote tank. I bought a set (Male and female) from a guy on eBay after I gave him the specifics of the outboard, he sent me his suggestion for what he had that he said should be a match, but it's not! I put my micrometer on the male fitting mounted on the motor and got 14/32 or 7/16 diameter. The fittings he sent are closer to 5/8, too big. I've looked all over the net for a close match to the size of the stock coupler, but most listings refer to the barb-hose size. The manual shows the part # for the motor fitting as #96122. I could possibly keep the fitting set sent to me and replace both m-f to make a new match, but I'd like the right fitting that works with the original. Anyone have any ideas or direction for me?:confused:

In looking up your model number at searspartsdirect it shows a 1 cylinder with a built in tank is that correct? It is a tecumseh motor with a gravity feed fuel system and would need a fuel pump for a remote tank. Can you show us pics of the fitting is it similar to a air hose fitting quick connect?

It has the valve to switch from internal to remote tank, and the connector on the front is hooked up to a 1/4 in hose to the carb. Here are a few pics.
3.jpgIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

It looks like the chrysler force quick connect fuel line on the front of the motor. Is there a fuel ine from it going to a fuel pump? The searspartsdirect site is down and have never worked on that motor. I am pretty sure that female connector on ebay is the right part I couldnt find the fuel pump earlier for your motor.

No, the hose from the coupler goes straight to the carb, and the line from the internal tank goes to the fuel shut-off valve, then up to the carb. That would make this a "Gravity fed" motor from the tank, and vacuum from the remote, correct? I don't see a fuel pump anywhere.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...7/1305320?searchedModel=217&blt=06&shdMod=217
That is a good question it looks like the carb has the fuel pump built into it? Maybe if you just connect the remote tank to the quick connect and prime it it will just pump it from the remote tank with the shutoff valve shut off for the built in tank. The chrysler quick connect measures 7/16 incn across.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Marine-..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a7aa859ee&vxp=mtr

I believe it is a Diaphragm type carb that uses engine pressure to feed fuel primed from the external hand pump. I may end up using the larger coupler set I got on eBay already and cut the 1/4 in hose with a reducer down from the new 5/16 hose since I plan to go through the entire engine and clean it all up. I'm a bit concerned that there is no air cleaner or anything to keep debris out of the venturi/choke plate area of the carb. I may fabricate something to rectify that.
IMG_0001.jpg

There is no dust out on the water is why they do not add a air filter. I wouldnt worry about it any.

Good point. I guess if I clean out the inside well enough it should be ok, thanks for that! Any particular points I should take care of in going through the motor prior to starting it for the first time?

Back