Logo

92 40 hp johnson VRO troubleshooting

Recently acquired 40hp 92 johnson, PO was running with VRO hooked up. I left as is, but have been running with 50:1 for a couple of tanks just in case while I verify oil level in tank dropping. It is dropping a noticeable amount.

I went to put it away for the season, and decided to check VRO warning horn so, I disconnected VRO line to see if warning horn would sound. Nothing after 10min of idling in tank. Didn't have time to fiddle with it, so put it to bed for winter.

Next day when I had time, checked manual and it says to verify purple VRO D wire has battery voltage with motor running as next step if no horn condition...but now it's winterized, so can't check with running, but thought I would at least check the wire connections are correct.

Found 4 pin female connector coming from VRO with black, tan, gray, purple wires. It plugs into 4 pin male connector, but the purple wire is snipped as it exits the male connector, so goes nowhere? Could this be my problem with warning horn? Can anyone explain what the black, tan, gray, and purple wires are for so I can verify it is wired right. I know powerhead was rebuilt by PO, so maybe something is wrong with wiring for horn.

The only thing I can say at this time is hook the purple wire back up and try it in the spring and go from there.

Thanks. Is the purple lead from VRO the lead that sends the alarm signal? Do you know what the other three wires from the VRO control - want to make sure I understand wiring before I start making new connections.

any idea why harness from remote is 8 pin (female) and harness in motor is 7 pin, the purple pin on the remote side has no match on male 7 pin side, so not sure how to access the purple wire on remote harness short of cutting it open and splicing in.

i want to be sure it is supposed to be wired back to remote as it isn't clear where the connection was cut? Do you follow or should I post some pics?

Hoping someone can help me out here. Can someone confirm if this is correct for VRO2 wiring (4 wire) before I wire it up, don't want to screw it up.

black lead is ground
purple is 12 volt, engine in start/on position
tan is the alarm circuit
gray is the tach pulse

Previous owner running VRO2 with purple wire snipped - seems like a bad idea? Where should I connect purple wire coming from VRO2 pump?

Back