Logo

2002 BFT9.9LHS Honda motor not peeing whats next

jackd

Contributing Member
I rebuilt the carb to fix my first problem after I ran for 1 hr and was peeing fine at that time . Fixed the carb and stoped peeing . The impeller was broken up . I put a new impeller on . I took out the pieces in the bottom screen plastic piece and cleaned out .

It starts up and when gets hot shuts off . I ran to warm up not too long thinking it takes awhile to open the thermostat . My next guess is the thermostat . Is there any other things that could cause this problem .

Where is the thermostat if it has one . My motor I cant find listed . Any help on the part number if its the thermostat . Thanks for any help still trying to get it fixed up because no people work on this motor in my area .

I am going to try this this weekend when have more time . Take the hosees off from the motor to the place where its attaced to the cover . Try running again to see if water is commming out .

Next I want to take off the thermostat and try without that to eliminate the thermostat . I am trying to find where the thermostat is . Anybody know where its located . I see some motors are on the right side toward the top .

Is there anything else that would cause it not to pee water out .

Thanks for any help .

Untitkkled.jpg if it is same model of yours , open thermostat cover,start engine and see whether water reaching till their.then you can make sure your water pump is pumping, Are you sure all the broken impeller rubber parts found ? maybe pee hole is blocked,blow some air and try.

wajira

It may look like that . I found a lot of pieces when I took the screen looking piece on the bottom and cleaned out . I didnt see any more . I wasnt sure where else to check or how to check other places .

I will be starting with taking the plastic tubing off then will take the thermostat piece off as you said .

1 think I did notice was smoke was comming out the pee hole a tad .

I will double check and see but I think that I saw something like in the pic .

I will let you know what I find out as soon as I get the time to do that .

Thanks for the pic and the info .

1 think I did notice was smoke was comming out the pee hole a tad .

That would likely be steam, i would bet you have a broken piece of impellor lodged somewhere.
try back flushing from the thermostat housing.

Heres what I found . Am I correct the hose that come out toward the front of the exhaust the hose is where water comes out . I blew through it and no cloggs . There was no water coming out the thermostat when I took it out .

How do I back flush it ? Will I need to take the bottom end off ? I am thinking yes ?

There is a screw hole above the thermostat that is missing anything . I am thinking is was to hold the wires possibly . I will post 2 pics . 1 is the thing above the thermostat and the other is the tube I blew through . It has to be the right one because its the only hose there .

Is there any possibility when I put the water pump the key way thing fell off . I dont think so because I felt resistance when I turned it but anythings possible .

Thanks for the support .

Last edited:
1-motor.jpgThe second pic is the hole above the thermostat . I blew through and cant so think its just a screw hole to hold something possibley . The first pic is the hose that I blew through think its where the water .comes out . It comes out the back and goes up .Exhaust water.jpgThermostat hole.jpg

Last edited:
The screw hole above the thermostat is where you screw in the flush adapter.

Yes, you will need to take the lower unit back off when you backflush.

While you are doing that, double check to be sure that you put the paper gasket #6 below the metal plate (cover #5) not on top of it when you changed the impeller. The housing #4 seals to the cover with the o ring #27.

Mike

Question on the back flush . Is that something special I need to buy and if do where can I get it . I pushed a wire up the tube that you connect the pump to when take apart .

When you put the impeller on is it possible the key piece falls off ? Just throwing out some of my thoughts . I put the impeller on the keyway piece and kinda twist the housing on .

When I bought the motor you got me through rebuilding the carb Honda dude and hopefully this is the finial thing to get fixed . Heres some pics of the motor not sure if saltwater damage . The thing is it was pumping water so dont think that the reason .Good view of the corrosion.jpg

The paper gasket is on the bottom and the metal plate is next . I am not sure about the housing ceals and oring . Is there any way I can find a diagram to make sure all the pieces are there . Beside what you see I think I have the paper gasket , metal gasket , impeller and the housing thing the impeller goes in . Thats all that was there when I took it apart . Thanks for the help . I spent so many hours on this I will keep going till its fixed right .

With the lower unit and the thermostat removed just stick a garden hose into where the thermostat goes. Then blast it with water.

You may already have done it, but also make sure there are no pieces down those two rectangular holes. Backflushing the lower unit from there (removing the intake covers, should make sure there are no pieces down there.

Try to get as much of the corrosion off where the water pump sits so that it makes a good seal.

Once you put down the paper gasket and the metal plate, hold the key in place and lower the impeller on it. That way, you can be sure that it is in there. Put some vasoline on the impeller blades and a small amount around inside the cup of the housing.....then lower the housing down to the impeller and maintain pressure down while turning the vertical shaft clockwise. The housing should go right down and the impeller will be oriented perfectly.

Mike

I dumped water in the thermostat and it went though and seemed nothing was clogged and cleaned the bottom end . I will do a thorough flush at the thermostat and also flush the bottom end and see if any clogs tonight . I have a pic of the plastic piece . I put the end in the pic on the housing the impeller is on and the open end went on the top part of the motor . I will do a thorough flush tonight and clean off the corousion .

Thanks Jack

Last edited:
Here is the picture of the pieces I have . The oring looks good to me by looking it it its not tore or anything .pump1.jpgpump2.jpgThe plastic piece her goes down where the impeller is. This is what I have and the impeller is new .

impeller.jpgits look like impeller liner is not placed correct.can you take one more pic without impeller(only housing and liner)

wajira

Last edited:
Wow . Your sharp . I saw it but didnt take a second thought . I will post pic later . If you look The hole is off in the center . Also if look close you will see a black rub mark on the metal . Possibly when it spun . Can I pop the whole linner and boss out ? Or do I need to replace .

The linner holes are toward the left side center to the bottom so the center hole is also off. Thanks for the help Jack

Top vue pump.jpgbottom vu of pump.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you can remove it,but if it is burned the plastic will be bit hard to remove it,any way try to open it,and check whether housing is not damage.in the pic its seems to be fine.

wajira

Any Tips on getting it out ? . I tried prying it yesterday with no luck . I will try again tonight a screwdriver against the housing and then hitting the floor and with 2 by fours to raise up and then hitting harder to see if can get it out.

I got the pieces out and here are the pics . My question and I think I know the answer . I want to do the job right so it last and Mike recomended getting the carb manual and over hauling it so it last and I did thatHousing close up.jpgHousing further.jpgMetal inside.jpgMetal outside.jpg .

My question do I replace the housing think it includes the inner piece and oring by one I found online. If I replace do I replace any of the other parts .

Last question if I replace the housing my model isnt listed any where. Somebody helped me with finding the parts to rebuild the carb .

I epoxied the piece back in . I put some expoy on the bottom of the metal and the sides . Thats as good as it gets without replacing it .

I am going to put together to make sure the thermostat is working this weekend . I will see what you recomend to do the job right . Thanks again guys .

Last edited:
You may not remember from last year . I bought a motor as a 15 and after much time found out it was a 9.9 . I thought I was ready to sell then the peeing problem this spring . I sued and am now fixing it myself . Its a long shaft tiller they claim could be settup for stearing but not sure about the stearing

According to Honda and my engine number I gave that was BEAGJ - 1010702 . They said the Frame is BABJ -1102956 and the model is 2002 BFT9.9 LHS from my reserch from my previous listing . There is something odd on the motor because they even said was 1 too many letters . I am thinking it was a special gov motor or something .It is possible its a P and not a T . They both sound the same but thought he used P as in Paul

I will double check at home . I have a new Impeller so will go the cheapest way to get everything else . The metal and paper gasket is the only gaskets that was on it , the impeller , key way and the parts I just posted .

I cant find that number but have found kits that looked close . I am thinking if the metal and paper gasket and the hausing and parts are cheaper then the kit will get seperately because the impeller is brand new . THANKS Jack

Last edited:
Then you should need 19215-zw9-020 housing (which includes the grommet and o ring), 19231-zw9-000 cover, and 19232-zw9-000 gasket.

Mike

I put the pieces back in and its pushing water out the thermostat and the pee hole . Is there anybody you recomend for the parts because no Honda dealers around my area ?

Hopefully I have 1 last question , since water seems to come out the pee hole first then goes to the thermostat toward the end . How do you know if it goes bad ?

I will run it good after I find the parts to make sure its finially all fixed up .

I really appreciate all the help . Thanks Jack

boats.net is as good as any place to buy the parts...or just google the part numbers on the net for other options. You could even get them on Amazon.

Are you asking...how do you know if the thermostat goes bad? or the impeller.

If the thermostat does not function (stuck closed), then the motor will overheat and the sensor will stop the engine. Then it is trouble shooting time.... If the thermostat is stuck open, the motor runs cold and runs like crap at idle and ultimately fouls the plugs, making it run like crap all the time.

Mike

I googled the number didnt come up with anything . I added some info and got the place you said about .

That was my question how to know if the thermostats bad . It looked good. I will order the parts today . I will run it for awhile at the lake to make sure fixed . Plan to sell it next year and disclosing all I found out and did to fix it .Thanks Jack

Back