Logo

Chrysler flybridge shifter options

proshadetree

Looking on information on installing a flybridge with controls. What setup is simplest? Rather say manual. I have a dual function control that I understand must use a ds switch, Anyone have a setup that keeps live controls at both helms like say an alpha merc uses?

With dual station controls, each helm control must be able to tag-a-long the other control when a gear selection change is made from either helm.

If you are wide open to suggestions, I would recommend the old tried and proven Morse Twin S controls.
Excellent quality, and they seldom give us any trouble, etc.

images

Don't let the old looking style fool you! This is good stuff!
Oh... and watch out for the Chinese knock-offs by "Seachoice"! :mad: :mad:
A good clean used Morse Twin S would be a much better choice.

Don't confuse the Mores Twin S with the Twin SR.... IMO, the SR can be problematic.

images

The Twin S mounts directly via four screw mount holes. (other then the ID tag, the Twin S has no removable cover)
The Twin SR mounts from underneath a removalable SS cover.

The Twin S is fully capable of dual station operation.
They require the Morse 33C style cables, which you may already have.

You will want to piggy-back from one helm to the other, and then chose which helm will make the home run to the engine.
Example: If you plan to use the flybridge morse so than the lower station, then the upper helm will make the home run.
Visa-versa if you plan to use the lower station more often.

Attachments

• Morse throttle shift unit cut a way view.jpg
    Morse throttle shift unit cut a way view.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 74
The twin s is a single function control I have to have a dual function due to the manner my outdrive hooks up. I have the hydraulic clutch set up first stage then the gear selector second stage. I need a Morse MT3 type shifter. My throttle is already on a twin s type controller.

All I can suggest is that the dual station controler units must be capable of full function while joined to another like controler unit.
IOW, it can not have any resistance from the other control unit.

Any clue which dual function control is capable of this? I know we looked at a few flybridge houseboats that were equipped with the dana or Chrysler outdrive. I just need to understand how to rig the one I have before I install it.

When you say Dual Function, are you talking about a single lever control(s).. i.e., one lever for both shift/throttle?

Are you opposed to twin lever controls?

I would like to see what you now have, and how your shift cables attach to the drive shifting mechanism.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the single lever controls; one makes less errors when in a tight docking situation with them. Ever grab the wrong lever? Sure you have!

Jeff

I have a separate throttel for my boat. It will be run in series to the lower station. The actual shift unit has a pump that activates a clutch and then the outdrive. That is why I need a dual funtion shifter. The shifter needs two cables to preform this action one to clutch valve and then one to outdrive. I have 318s with dana/chrysler outdrives. The shifter acts just like one that operates both throttel and gear changes with one lever. I need both just to preform a gear change.

proshadetree, I would love to be able to help you and to make a good suggestion to you....., but until I'm able to see images of just exactly how your system now functions, I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage.

I have approximately 40+ years experience with pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical, cable, pneumatics over hydraulics etc., etc type controls, of one sort or another.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the shift function of your controller actually performs to duties simultaneously;
1..... some type of clutch dis-engagement/engagement....
2..... actual gear selection......

Is that correct?

If so, then your upper helm station controller (while being used independently from the lower station controller), must be able to function independently of the lower station controller while performing both functions!
If it will do this… then perhaps there's your answer.

Last edited:
Will get pics as soon as I can get there. The shifter performs two functions like you said first clutch then gear selection. It's an odd cod. 1969 Nautiline houseboat. Just bought a flybridge and am trying to get it lined up before I install it.

Will get pics as soon as I can get there. The shifter performs two functions like you said first clutch then gear selection. It's an odd cod. 1969 Nautiline houseboat. Just bought a flybridge and am trying to get it lined up before I install it.

Not my drives but twins to them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 54
Not my drives but twins to them.
Your drives are 45 years old.
They are rare and are considered to be outdated by today's standards.
Have you considered going to later drives?

The AQ series Volvo Penta lends itself to Borg Warner.
Borg Warner will get you from the V/P drives to your engines, and with all OEM components.
Volvo Penta uses Cone Clutch gear engagement.

Late 80s to early 90s V/P would be a good choice, IMO.

Last edited:
Dana drives are just too stout to want to replace. I already have 2 spares I will most likley never need. As long as you keep the adjustments right a big block won't kill them. If I were to reporwer I would go bravo3

Well, I only mentioned the AQ series because:

• your Dana drives are now 45 years old.
  • Dana parts and service may now be somewhat scarce (I don't know).
  • apparently the Dana is not oposite of engine rotation capable (picture shows LH props Stdb and Port).
  • steering system looks rather antiquated to me.
  • no power trim ability... yes/no?
  • to my knowledge, no other out drive system is Borg Warner friendly as is the AQ series. (B/W gets us to the Chrysler engines)
  • Volvo Penta offers cone clutch gear engagement.
  • main suspension fork and pivot tube geometry.
  • steering spindle arm within the interior of the transom area.
  • single shift cable to the transmission, and with no separate clutch/gear manipulation required.
  • they are oposite of engine rotation capable.
  • all will accept the Duo Prop lower unit.

Good luck with it. I hope that you are able to get your dual station controls working.
I'm always curious.... so please post back when you have it resolved.

Last edited:
BTW, I meant no disrespect to you or your Dana drives.
Just sharing a few thoughts in the event that you had considered a change!

Back