Logo

1979 35 hp runs great on trailer

Sandyman1216

Hello, new to any forum. Would appreciate any advice. What I have is a 35 that runs good on flush kit but once I launch it won't go quits before I can get it in gear. What I''ve done is replaced head gasket thermostat , water plate gasket.These repairs brought compression from 50lbs to130 both cyl. Did carb rebuild , timing.plugs . Starts and runs great on hose and in tank. Some clues: When I put it back on trailer after 4 failures I noticed grey fuel smelling stuff oozing out of small weep hole above cavitation plate. Get it back on hose and after a few tries it starts up and runs great again . Another thing is the plugs are staying clean an dry. That's it any thoughts .frustrated in south Puget sound Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks . I did set it by ear guess I''ll have to by a tach.and try again. Lifetime sailor new to the dark side.trying to learn. I.m in longbranch can you recommend anyone if I can't figure it out?

Thanks again. I'm gonna try again today or tomorrow , have another motor in tank ;'nother story, beginning to think I like being frustrated . Already did the sync. Probably need a better , more specific manual . I''ll get back after " one more try " ha !

Now your scaring me little don't want to ruin power pack .so I make sure it doesn't go to ground just pull it off, if it stalls the other coil is bad? Thanks for bein patient with a rookie.

Okay, started in the tank this morn. Set needle again pulled bottom plug wire , fine . Pulled top wire, stalled immediately. What does this tell me?

Okay this is weird. Swapped coils and it wouldn't start.put them back started right up. Now it acts the same no matter what plug I pull. Runs equally rough. Seems to be running smoother .Don't know what I did.

It just runs equally bad when I pull th plug wires off . Then smooth when I put them back . It does sit outside and Iwill take youre advice to make better connection. Thanks getting dark,probably try it in the water next week. I'll be getty back to you .with my other motor soon.thanks to you and boobie

Thanks want to get in for the last of winter crab area 13 . The plugs are new but they told me at lighthouse marine that the fact that they stay so clean might mean water getting on them?...?.

Back