Logo

Mercruiser 3.0L Head Cracked

shanz_2008

Hello
I have two Mercruiser engines 3.0L 1985 (140hp).
On one of the engines I notices that when the engine is over 4000rpm there is a small water leak at the back on the starter side, since on this engine I had a steel gasket I decided to take the head out to change the gasket. Took the head to check the face and it was perfect but when we checked the valves seating we found one of the exhaust was cracked. Took the head to check if it can be fixed and they told me that it can be fixed but it would be better if I change the head.

The problem is that here in Malta I can not find a head like the one that I have, I only found heads of 1990-95 3.0LX (one piece rear crank seal).
Does any one know if a 1990-95 head fits on 1985 engine (two piece rear crank seal).

Hello
I have two Mercruiser engines 3.0L 1985 (140hp).
On one of the engines I notices that when the engine is over 4000rpm there is a small water leak at the back on the starter side, since on this engine I had a steel gasket I decided to take the head out to change the gasket. Took the head to check the face and it was perfect but when we checked the valves seating we found one of the exhaust was cracked. Took the head to check if it can be fixed and they told me that it can be fixed but it would be better if I change the head.

The problem is that here in Malta I can not find a head like the one that I have, I only found heads of 1990-95 3.0LX (one piece rear crank seal).
Does any one know if a 1990-95 head fits on 1985 engine (two piece rear crank seal).

Ayuh,..... Should bolt right on, 'n run just fine,...

Back