Logo

99 Johnson 225 HO idle and throttle problems

neelyhenryfish

I Have a 99 Johnson 225 hp HO engine , engine has always ran perfect and has given no signs of problems, a few days ago I went out for afternoon trip and the engine stated up as usual , i will normally let the enigine sit and warm up in idle while parking my truck, when I come back the engine had went dead? when i started it back up it was idleing VERY LOW and the second I would give it a little throttle it would bog and go dead? it would idle, bog and go dead,, so while pumping on the hot foot to rev the engine up it seemed like it kinda broke up and I blasted off and ran several miles down river and the engine ran perfect, i stopped and fished a min and went to start again and it did the same thing!! Would not take any throttle and kept going dead?? after reving it up a few more times I blasted off again and ran perfect back to truck?? , , During this only few miles trip I noticed it used an abnormal amount of gas?? I have checked to carbs and cleaned, chaged fuel pump and did a fuel sample to check for water in gas..?? still wont idle or take gas.... while in idle if i push the choke in it immediately goes dead?? Any advice??? thanks

I would pull the line off the pulse limiter and squeeze the fuel primer ball and see of fuel comes out of the pulse line.

The pulse limiter is what powers the VRO pump.

If fuel comes out of the pulse line, you need to replace the VRO and DO NOT run the engine until this is repaired or you will damage your engine.

I would pull the line off the pulse limiter and squeeze the fuel primer ball and see of fuel comes out of the pulse line.

The pulse limiter is what powers the VRO pump.

If fuel comes out of the pulse line, you need to replace the VRO and DO NOT run the engine until this is repaired or you will damage your engine.

Thank for the reply Chris. Where is the pulse limiter located?

Usually on the front side bottom or the port side bottom depending on the model. Follow the hoses from the VRO down and the one that hooks up to a fitting on the block is it.

Post the actual model # and I can tell you where it is exactly.

Back