Logo

1972 6 hp Fisherman LU

False alarm it must be the waterpump impeller dowel that dropped out of my parts cup or the shaft and on to the bench. This is the only reasonable conclusion and I do not have any extra parts. I still need opinions on how to remove the shift shaft bushing on both the 72 6 hp and 70' 25 hps.

Part 25 goes in the housing and the propshaft bearing keys into it to keep it in position and from rotating. My manual shows one for the bearing in front and one for the bearing in the rear. Make sure that the bearings are properly lined up so they (the pins) don't get pressed into the housing and fail to engage the bearings. Take a look at the bearings and you will see how they engage the pins. The impeller pin is "T" shaped usually. I used a long steel rod to pound out the shift shaft bushing but care is the order of the day so that internal flanges are not destroyed in that area. A long screwdriver would work too.

Last edited:
I cannot determine where it belongs. All pictures I have seen indicate it holds the bearing nearest the prop in place. There is no hole in the gear case on the top or the bottom nor is there a hole in the bearing itself. I am not confusing it with the dowel that holds the bearing at the rear of the gear case (furthest from the prop) that is commonly misaligned. I just don't want to put it back together and have a little 3/8 dowel sitting there b/c I don't know where it goes. I did find the "T" shaped impeller key so it is not a "false alarm" after all.

Back