Logo

TAMD41P Raw Water Pump

rwidman

Contributing Member
Well, there is now a steady drip from the weep hole in the raw water pump (3800 hours). I see where I can buy a brand new Volvo pump for somewhere between $500 and $600 or an "equivalent" (Johnson) for $400. I can also buy an overhaul kit for $180. The new pump is just a bolt on, installing the overhaul kit is more complicated but I'm handy and have a shop full of tools so I could handle it if it comes with instructions.

My question then is, has anyone here installed the overhaul kit, was it difficult and did it come with instructions? Are the instructions on the Internet somewhere?

I think there may be videos on youtube showing similar pumps. If it is like the ones I remember there are just standard bearings and seals required if the shaft and housing are OK. Maybe $50 from your local bearing shop.

Thanks. There are a couple videos but I'm not sure if it's the same pump. My plan is to wait until after hurricane season in case I have to move my boat and then take the pump off the engine, bring it home and check the condition. I think parts are available individually so if I just need seals or bearings I''' probably go that route. It would still be nice to have the "official" repair instructions.

I did a KAd32 one which I assume is similar about 6 months ago. I can't remember the details, but that will be because it was very straightforward. Standard bearings and seals off the shelf and a basic gear puller. Don't think that there was anything else. I did a coolant pump on the same engine at the same time and I remember that one really well - nightmare to rebuild by comparison.

To end this, I took the pump off and took it apart but the shaft was scored so I bought a new pum and installed it. Piece of cake. I used new hoses as well.

Back