Logo

Yanmar 2qm15 cable questions

JPS27

So I decided to replace my shot A-4 with a Yanmar 2qm15. One of my last hurdles is finding the right throttle and shift cables. Does anyone have any idea where I might find the right cables and/or exactly what cables or part numbers the 2qm15 uses? Thanks for your help.

Jay

Hi Jay,
You've probably sorted it out by now, but I can tell you it depends on what type of control lever you have. I have a 2QM15 and I use Teleflex C3300 control cables for the throttle and shift and just ordinary universal automotive choke cables for the engine stop cable and decompression lever cable.

Cheers,
bluey.

Thanks bluey. Well, I think I finally figured it out. I tried to work the throttle and shift cables with the C3300 cables and at first felt I needed to "fit" the shift cable at the pedestal with a gasket since it didn't fit where it clamped in. And the engine end needed all sorts of playing around. Imagining losing control of the shifter in the marina got me asking lots of questions and looking around for the right solution. I was set on the 3300 cable because the 2qm calls for it. But in the end I went with the 6400 series cable because it worked fine at the engine and it fit like it was supposed to at the pedestal.

Can you give me more information on the universal automotive choke cable? The yanmar stop cable I overpaid for isn't bulky enough. It pulls fine but when push on it the cable bends where it attaches at the engine--at both the throttle lever and decompression levers. Thanks.

Jay

The cables I bought were ultra cheap and were a tempory measure until I could get some of better quality. But as it turns out the do the job ok and will be easy to replace if the need arises. The inner cable is made of a stiff wire and it was necessary to clamp the outer cable to the engine to stop it from bending, like yours, when the cable is pushed back in. The throttle stop cable was secured simply by using a couple of plastic zip ties, but for the decompression lever cable I had to make a stainless steel clamp bracket to hold it in place. I've uploaded some pics of my engine to show you my cable setup.

Because I have a Morse MV2 single lever control I am using the c3300 cables for throttle and shift. On the throttle governor lever end of the cable I had to make a slotted yoke fitting because you have to shift into gear at idle speed so it was necessary to allow a slight time delay in the throttle before increasing the engine revs. I think you would need this type of connection only if you have a single lever control.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Bluey/Throttlecontrolsetup3_zpsf6b5f0c0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Bluey/Throttlecontrolsetup4_zps33006301.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Bluey/Throttlecontrolsetup5_zpsbf3fbb34.jpg

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

This pictures are really helpful. And it looks like your shift cable comes from the top. Mine comes from the back. I'll look into the auto choke cables, that would be a lot cheaper. Your engine looks great. Did you haul it out to paint, or do you do that while it's mounted? Thanks. again. i'm a novice at all this. Thanks, jay

I did a total renovation job on my boat and the engine was hauled out as part of the process. Besides needing derusting and painting I also had to replace the head gasket. The old gasket had eroded away and allowed oil to leak profusely from the seam between the head and block. I'm happy with the way it turned out though.

Back