Logo

Johnson J90TLEOR 90hp vro v4 1995 throttle set up - help!

garyp74

Hi all
I have just bought a Johnson 90hp v4 1995 motor and rebuilt carbs, changed fuel filter. Runs great once you are going but have issues at idle. On muffs is OK being put into gear but on water stalls once in gear. I wonder if throttle set up isnt right? Have manual but its doesnt detail throttle set up sadly. Would love some help or advice. Thanks

Why did you decide to clean the carburetors ?-----------What does a compression test show.-----------Do you have strong spark on all 4 plug leads ?

Thanks for quick reply. We suspected that boat had sat for 12 month (lazy previous owner) and so a carby rebuild was a good place to start. Strong sparks yes but havent done compression test yet....

Hi racerone - compression test all good and nice and even across all 4. I have been reading up on this as it idles great on muffs - easy into gear as i say. So it seems like it being in water makes a huge difference in the water - could it be about exhaust pressure. So a suggestion is we need to set up throttle idle while in water. What do you think??

thx guys - have found manual with set up instructions - quite a few steps in there. also decided to change plugs to be safe. Had NGKs in and read that Champions are the ones to use?

Thx again folks for replies. Also thinking of decarbing cylinders with SeaFoam or similar before i put new plugs in. A good idea? thoughts?

Back