Logo

BF15 to 20 conversion?

TJT-Rav

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has done/attempted to do this conversion. It doesn't seem like it would be overly complicated, as they share the same bore and stroke. From what I can find, the 20 revs 500RPM higher. So to me, the 15 sounds like it's a de tuned 20 that gets better fuel economy. Would adding a few fuel burning components ( carb, cam, ECM) do the trick ya think? Thanks for any input :)

* Mine's an '08 BTW

Last edited:
Well......probably "doable"......I'm not sure. I've never tried to "hot rod" one of these.

You don't need to replace the cam....it's the same part# as the 20. As a matter of fact, the cam, the valves, springs, rockers...all the same parts. Cylinder head is the same part number too as far as I can tell.

Actually, when I compare a 15 DK2 SHA to a 20 DK2 SHA part for part, they pretty much look to be the same EXCEPT the carburetor.

The timing components are the same along with the ignition module.

So, it is entirely probably you can do your "conversion" by simply "upsizing" the carb and, of course, THE most important part in ANY horsepower rating.................

....THE DECAL!

Good luck.

I took the part numbers right off of boats.net.....under the 2007 and later heading.

And yes, I made a mistake. The camshaft IS a different part number.

But the ignition modules appear to be the same. Although, there are two different ones listed for both outboards and one of the CDI part numbers is listed twice on the 15 horsepower page. So now, besides confusing everybody else...I've confused myself.

A word to TJR-Rav.....listen to MIKE.....he has the "right stuff".

Jimmy,

I see what you mean, when I look at boats.net.

My Honda parts program does not have the same info. It only shows the cdi for the 20 exclusive to the 20 and the one for the 15 exclusive to the 15.

TJT,

Since there are several models of the 15/20, what is the frame number of your motor? That way we can look specifically at your motor.

Mike

Frame # 1101970
Engine # BEALJ - 1010071
Looked everywhere for a serial #. Apparently they start with BF or BFP and go from there? I'm kinda stuck on that one, any chance it would be inside the transom bracket? Sorry boat and motor are new to me, didn't come with a manual. :(

Last edited:
If you are anticipating doing a conversion, I highly recommend purchasing a Honda shop manual, so that you get all the proper specs and info as to pull it apart and put it back together. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/shop-manuals

Again, you will select be serial number range. Unfortunately, they are not free, but well worth the money. After market manuals have been found not to have the correct specs.

Mike

You can download a manual from Honda for free. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF15 Done

You will need the 4 letters in front of the frame number....probably BALJ 1101970. You are correct, it is BALJ

My parts program still says that there is a different cam, cdi and carburetor I feel you are correct, and am bound and determined to find this out

Mike

If you are anticipating doing a conversion, I highly recommend purchasing a Honda shop manual, so that you get all the proper specs and info as to pull it apart and put it back together. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/shop-manuals Done

Again, you will select be serial number range. Unfortunately, they are not free, but well worth the money. After market manuals have been found not to have the correct specs. Lol, yes! Jobber manuals usually show you just enough to get you into trouble. Though not enough to get out of it!

Thank you for your input, I appreciate your time. I'll update this thread as I find out more info, hopefully it's worthwhile to do this job. Who knows? It might be more cost effective to just trade the 15 in on a 20.

Mike

Back