Logo

Mercury 2.2 HP does not start

whataboat

I recently picked up a 1989 2.2 Mercury outboard that hadn't run in years. After draining the old gas and cleaning the carburetor the motor will start but only with a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole and the gas petcock off. (also, the throttle is in the full open position with the choke open as well) I have a good spark however the compression is only around 55-60 psi, could this be my problem?

Way too low. If you can get her running, run some ring freeing stuff through it.

Jeff
I can get it running with a shot of starter fluid, what type of ring freeing stuff are you referring to. Do you mean soaking it with mystery oil and what should the compression be?

Mercury (and others) sells the stuff. You mix it with the gas and it frees stuck rings.

I think Merc calls it "Power Tune".

Jeff

..."The compression is within 10% on a small motor like that"

Huh? Let's see now: 10 % of 120 pounds is 12 pounds. So, 120 minus 12 is...a looong way from "55-60". Way too low.

Jeff

This little motor is painted in many different colors and marketed by different companies.-All the same motor from offshore.---------Cleaning the points under the flywheel is a good idea.

I have been able to get the motor running with numerous pulls but have decided to just replace the rings as the I cannot get the compression above 65 psi even after using some ring cleaning stuff. While I have it apart I can clean the exhaust port as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

sorry thought that was a 2 cylinder how did you check spark you cannot do it just by looking at the plug you need to do a spark gap test. It must jump a gap of at least 1/4 inch brite blue snap on the plug wire to a good engine ground.

I used a spark plug tester and have a good blue snap.

My compression gauge is good and the motor will start however with only 60-65 psi I am changing the ring to see if it will run a little better.
thanks

Back