Logo

40hp Long shat on poontoon boat just cuts out and is now dead. Seized lower end??

TiMn8er

Hey Gang, Im new to this forum. I did a search and was unable to find an answer.

to the point, I took my dads boat out on upper BuckHorn Lake here in Ontario Canada a few days ago to enjoy a wet cold rainy afternoon, I was running at 3/4 throttle untill the motor just dies and i come to a hault.

I tried to restart but it would not turn over. I took the top off and Noticed the fly wheel would try to turn 3-4 teeth once the stater was engaged. As a non marine guy but more of an auto guy, this would lead me to think that the upper engine is ok but the lower unit seized.

I was told the lower unit would still turn over in neutral, but after looking on this forum and learning how the clutches/ gearing would work. Mechanically Im thinking it can still prevent the engine from turning over.

History, The Skeg had its tip re welded/repaired. We paid to have it tuned up new plugs and carbs tuned since I did this run with the boat last year at this time before we put it to bed. At that time i had no power over 1/4 throttle. The marine guy just said it was bad plugs. The following spring it it worked like a charm so I guess it needed that tune up. The boat sat with the engine tilted out of the water all summer. Dad only took it out to the middle of the lake to troll one evening. Then i was the guy that took it out and it died on.

After going through hell and no help. I managed to get it back to our property. I took out the upper and lower Oil Plug and to my dismay Nothing came out but an brown oil clump. then after 5-10 Min it looked like a brown snail trail coming out.

This is burning my brain. Id Love to just drop the lower unit and turn it over. but now that a large company bought our trailer park, the put gates up and turned off our key pads and I have no access to the boat until spring.... nice eh...

Well sorry for the long post but just thought id put it all out there... I know the oil in lower unit should be golden yellow. or milky white if water got in, but brown sludge... gee-sh.

Back