Logo

Speed ?

dropbear68

Contributing Member
How fast (guestimate) do u think a AQ130 with an AQ100B leg would scoot my 17footer glass boat along at?
Are there various prop ratios?

V-hull, tri-hull, beam dimension, how will you load the boat, stern heavy prone, etc?

IMO, there are too many unknowns to give you a guess-ta-ment!

Hi Ricky, shes a v hull, only bout 1.5 meters in the beam, the boat is fairly light, what we call an open runabout so its just 4 seats and a windscreen, use will be purely fun just hauling the kids around in a ski tube or bit of fishing, loading would be probably 2 to 4 adults etc, Ill stick a photo up today sometime

To give you an indication, I have an AQ130 w/280 outdrive on my 18' runabout (closed bow). Boat is relatively heavy. I used 3/4" marine ply when I rebuilt it a few years ago and also poured new foam. Don't recall the exact weight but think it's around 1800 lbs. I'm running a 4 blade Solas prop. I believe it's 17". At 4,900 RPM on smooth water, with 2 people on board, I only do 28 mph. If I recall, when running a 3 blade prop, I could do over 30 at 5100 RPM. This is at 1,600 foot elevation.

Your boat sounds quite a bit lighter. Depending on the prop pitch and WOT, you should be able to do quite a bit better.

Only markings on prop is an R I assume means right hand rotation, where might the pitch number be? Also 2 pics of the boat

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 30
My first boat, a circa 1962 18 ft Fibercraft, with an almost 8ft beam ( 6 ft @ transom) , had a 110HP (1800cc dual down draft Zeniths) Volvo with the original 100 drive ( CV joints, not universals). It weighed in at about 2000# and had a Deep V hull. Did 30 mph wide open and cruised all day long in the low to mid 20s. As I recall ( I sold this boat in 1981) it had a 14x15 , 3 blade LH aluminum prop. I had modified the exhaust by removing the outlet widget at the transom and the down hose, and just letting the exhaust out via the right angle elbow on the transom. A bit noisy, but got a few more revs and a very slightly improved fuel burn. Also went to a high speed thru the bottom onf the hull water pickup and internal strainer, after oil cooler got partially plugged up with bits of eel grass.

Last edited:
I think Ill go the same way bob,was just looking at the plumbing, I have a brass pick up already ill need to get a strainer this and ill get another strainer for the engine bay, ill strip the oil cooler and check it over, should minimise problems

When you drain the block to winterize it, run a coat hanger up into the block drains to make sure they are clear. Crap (sand, mud .... even with strainer) tends to accumulate there.

Generally we don't store boats over the winter, I still use mine the fishing quiet good here winter time not that you look forward to the sea spray coming up over the bow when you plough through a wave, the coastal areas are still quiet mild even through winter, I have to replace the ply floor in my boat before I do anything to the motor so that's what Im starting shortly

Back