Logo

Batteries at Bow of Skiff?

Klink

Regular Contributor
I bought a used 2008 14" flat bottom fiberglass skiff (Stumpnocker)with a 25hp Johnson, it has a Min-Kota Riptide EM on the bow, and a Group 24 deep cycle battery in the bow hatch. Being as this boat is flat bottom and I'll be using it in Florida's Bays which sometimes get choppy, is it wise to have a battery taking on all that vibration on the bow? I understand many skiff owners are even moving the starter battery to the bow, to raise the stern to go over skinnier water . In the past, I've bought bad batteries that went dead because a cell disconnected from getting jarred in the shipping process to the store. Is it prudent to purposely put the batteries in the worst spot for bouncing on a boat, the bow, where no one wants to sit?

Last edited:
It's best to keep the starting battery in the stern as you'll have less voltage drop in the cables going to the motor.

if the hull has more curve upwards than the bottom of the boat i would try to level the battery so it was not setting at a great angle..ignition battery in the rear and trolling motor battery in the front will work well ...

you could put a foam cushion or something in the bottom of the battery box if the banging is that bad...i dont know your waters..

Back