Logo

can i replace a 340 with a 360?

sandbarross

I have a 1974 century resorter. I was told it was a 318. upon further investigation it appears to be an automotive 340. Can I put in a marine 360 without any complications or modifications? does it matter if it is a LH or RH motor? this boat is an inboard.

You will need to check balance requirements. There may also be engine mount spacing to be addressed.

The oil pans are different as the main bearing and caps are larger on the 360..........

Attachments

• BoreStokeA.jpg
    BoreStokeA.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 23
Oil pans should be different only at rear seal. Although main bearings are larger diameter on 360's. the outside diameter of the rear cap is smaller. The front seal is against the timing cover, so remains the same.

Yes rotation matters. If you change rotation you should move the helm as well. Your rudder is offset and it will need to be moved too. Add a new propeller to the cost of the change.

...and the fly wheels are different. So as far as the motor themselves go 1)diff oil pan,
2) left motor mount which came be re-used if you use some spacers to offset it 3) 360 has a external balanced fly wheel. Whats wrong with the 340 ?

Jack

The 360 has the externally balanced flywheel and damper pulley (which is not interchangeable with a 318. Not sure about 340s.)

I suggest you ask the slantsix.com forum.

Jeff

Back