Logo

Honda fuel tank connector from Sierra

shero144

Purchased fuel line assembly Sierra 18-81042EP-1 one year ago. Female tank connector stopped working yesterday. Will slide onto Tank fitting but will not snap closed. Took it apart and inside is very rough so sliding is crunchy.
Purchased Sierra 18-80401 replacement tank connector.
It will slide onto tank fitting but will not snap closed. Tried on all 3 of my tanks.
Went back to store and tried 18-80401 connector on Sierra replacement tank fitting 18-80400 and would not snap closed.

First Sierra tech says he can't help me.

Second Sierra tech says you have to push it on very hard to make it snap closed.
I am not that strong. Person at store is also not that strong.

Now I have to send bad connector with invoice copy to SIERRA so the can send me a replacement that probably will not work.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I am not liking Sierra very much right now.

Thanks,
Bill

Update: Just s/w West Marine and they have a universal sprayless connector set for $12.99 that I can use to replace the Sierra connector. If it works I will have a nice light, plastic, sprayless, inexpensive connector and will only consider Sierra as a last resort for future purchases.

Last edited:
[h=2]Sierra Honda Fuel Connector SIE-80401connector: Hose Fitting - Female[/h]Application: New style. Will not interchange with OE's 5/16" hose assemblies. Mates with 18-80400

re read your entry and it seems you have tried the proper part numbers...i would take a tank to west marine and see if they can help you...west marine is very good here on assistance...

You did not say how old your fuel tank is.

If it is really old, the sierra connectors may not fit. There was a minor change in design in the late 90's. The new design connectors looked the same but will not fit the older tanks. I am referring to older plastic tanks. Not the metal ones....most of those had a completely different connector at the tank.

So, what is possible, is that the ones you can buy now are of the newer design and will not fit...no matter how hard you push.

Mike

I have a Sierra 3/8" fuel line assembly.
I tried to mate brand new 18-80400 to 18-80401 in the store.
They were both in plastic bubble cards.
We could not get them to lock.

hondadude,

I have 3 plastic 3 gallon tanks that came with my 2004 motor.
The 1 year old Sierra fuel line assembly worked good until the connector started jamming. The connector on that assembly is 18-80401.

The new 18-80401 will not snap closed on my tank. I tried 2 of them off the shelf.
I tried 18-80401 with 18-80400 off the shelf and it also did not snap closed. The package for 18-80400 says to use with 18-80401.

Visually, the new connector has a more shallow throat than the old one. [very close tolerances]

Sierra tech says you just have to push hard to get them to close. That way they will not leak.

My other connectors never leaked and I didn't have to force them on.

Your tanks should have the current connector unless they gave you old stock.

I have not had much success with aftermarket connectors with Hondas. If I need to make up a hose, I use Honda fittings, 5/16 " fuel line and and Evinrude/Johnson bulb. Well worth the investment.

So, I do not think I will be of much help here.

Mike

I agree... stick with Honda OEM
Went to West Marine yesterday and bought their new plastic sprayless fittings. Will replace 3 tank fittings and the fuel line coupler. Wish me luck.
Also looked at the West Marine fuel line tank fittings that look exactly like the Sierra fittings. They had 2 models, one with a slightly deeper throat. People in store had no idea why there were two models.

Same here...we have tried a few aftermarket connectors and they do not seem to work well on Honda outboards...we found that, even if they fit and locked and looked ok, they would either leak or not allow full fuel flow.

Wasted time and money trying to save a couple of bucks.

Back