Logo

F115 Life

HeidiMarie

Hi all,

First post here...

Just curious as to what kind of life guys are getting out of their F115's or what they expect to get out of them? I know it is all dependent on how hard and often it is ran, maint., etc.

I have one on my 20' Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 2007 model. Mine was the last one built with a 115. The 150's are standard now. Max rated is 200hp. Boat weighs an average of 3500# during most use. I have the motor professionally serviced at regular intervals, keep it flushed, etc. No issues to date other than replacing a fuel/water float sensor two yrs ago.

Used for inshore/nearshore, occasional offshore, island hopping, no skiing or towing.

Motor has 825 hrs. Is it time for a compression check?

Thanks in advance!

Defintely do a compression check. I have the 2 stroke 115 HP "C" model. I have talked to many mechanics and they say my model is good for over 2000 hrs. Mine is 14 years old and still going strong. The VST filter needs to be addressed on a regular basis, on your model.

If you take care of it.
No reason you can't get 2000+.
I'm a trained Force/ Chrysler mechanic and I keep my motors(twin 1988/85's) up to snuff.
They have probably over 2000hrs.

The people who DON'T service their motor and say oh it's not really necessary to change the impeller every couple of years or the cheap oils will work or I don't need a grease gun.
Their the ones on here asking why did my motor go out??
Like "soilnsky" suggested do a filter change on the vapor separator, make sure there is a water sep filter other than the one on the motor.
If you have ANY oil tank or reservoir. It needs to be cleaned out at least 1 time a year.
The oil, like diesel fuel can grow an algae and it can clog the system and in bad cases it can get sucked up and cause piston failure.
One of my customers had twin 225's and both reservoirs had algae, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Thanks guys. Have always kept up on the mx every 50-100 hrs with a Yam Tech. I'll raise the issue of vapor separator and oil res cleaning on the next service.

Make sure you change the thermostat yearly or u will make oil and foul the plugs

i seen over 6000 hrs on them

Back