Logo

Crusader LH Rotation using RH firing order

jpm5664

Runs but surges when at idle. Anyone ever seen this. I haven't tried to change the firing order yet. Kind a stumped. the engine has a TBI installed
no error codes in computer.

We are puzzled as well. LH/RH? Did you convert a LH to RH and see a surge issue? What engine size/year? Give us some history.

We are puzzled as well. LH/RH? Did you convert a LH to RH and see a surge issue? What engine size/year? Give us some history.

Hello
Just bought the boat, twin crusaders, with v drives. Both engines were running fine with the exception of fuel economy. I bought some TBI Kits and installed on both engines. the starboard engine has the correct firing order and runs great. The port engine which runs cw from the front dampener. had the same firing order and it ran until I put on the TBI Kit then it would not idle. I should say I noticed the firing order was not right when it would not idle.

I changed the firing order to standard rotation which it should be, set timing and it will idle now but not responsive.
the engines are 350 (crusader 270) and supposedly 135hrs. there is 125 to 135 lb of compression on all cylinders. running fuel pressure is 12psi,
No Vacuum leaks. Return fuel pressure is about 1 psi. no error codes.
to say the least I have never seen a engine run with the wrong firing order. I do not know if the previous owner had to convert it since it is a standard rotation motor.

JPM, both of your ignition distributors will rotate CW when viewed from over-head.
Firing order always begins with #1 cylinder @ TDC C/S.
The only difference between the Standard LH engine and the REV RH engine firing order, will be the order in which all other cylinder fire after #1.

Std LH SBC engine firing order is

images

For the REV RH rotation engine, start from #1 and follow with #2.
Follow #2 with #7 in this direction until you come to #8.

I'm thinking that your TBI system should not know the difference in rotation.

NOTE: if by chance you are trying to reverse the direction of a standard LH engine to become a REV RH engine, the wrist pin offset will be incorrect.

The port engine which runs cw from the front dampener. had the same firing order and it ran until I put on the TBI Kit then it would not idle. I should say I noticed the firing order was not right when it would not idle.

Ayuh,.... If the pulleys are turnin' Clockwise, that's a standard left handed motor, as viewed from the PTO end,....

Ayuh,.... If the pulleys are turnin' Clockwise, that's a standard left handed motor, as viewed from the PTO end,....
Bill, that thought crossed my mind as well.

However, he has V-drives, which means that he is flywheel-end-forward.

I also thought about "oposite-of-engine-rotation" transmssions, but I'm not sure if V-drives offer that.

JPM, here is how we determine engine rotation.
This is industry standard, whether auto, industrial or Marine, and is always determined as though viewing the flywheel end of the engine.

Attachments

• Engine Rotation Std LH.jpg
    Engine Rotation Std LH.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Engine Rotation Rev RH.jpg
    Engine Rotation Rev RH.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 118
If it was running before the TBI work, then the starter is spinning the engine in the correct direction....

"V-drive" infers lots of configuration options, so I'd discount that.

I'd suggest getting the firing order correct and then put a vaccuum gauge on the engine...if there's an air leak to the intake, surging is very likely..

Ooops, I failed to label each rotation.

Std LH rotation left side.... REV RH rotation right side.

Attachments

• Engine Rotation Std LH.jpg
    Engine Rotation Std LH.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Engine Rotation Rev RH.jpg
    Engine Rotation Rev RH.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 75
So it surges after installing an aftermarket TBI system? Put a vacuum gauge on it and see what you get. Sorry to say the TBI system is not anymore fuel efficient than a carb.

Assuming the TBI system that you installed has a MAP and an IAC motor. A vacuum leak will cause the surge you are having. This is where I would start. You can mask a Vacuum leak on a carbed engine. You cannot on a TBI with a MAP and IAC motor.

Did you get this system?
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ixxocart/catalog/Marine-19-1.html

Last edited:

I also thought about "oposite-of-engine-rotation" transmssions, but I'm not sure if V-drives offer that.

This is industry standard, whether auto, industrial or Marine, and is always determined as though viewing the flywheel end of the engine.

Ayuh,.... True enough, but he said, "which runs cw from the front dampener."

RicardoMarine said:

Ayuh,.... True enough, but he said, "which runs cw from the front dampener."

Bill, I agree with you.... if his front engine damper/harmonic balancer is turning CW, that engine would be Std LH rotation...... even if flywheel end forward for a V-drive transmission.

IOW, and at the risk of redundancy here ........ whether a conventional shaft drive installation or a flywheel forward installation, engine rotation is always determined as though viewing from the flywheel end.

The OP says:

Runs but surges when at idle. Anyone ever seen this. I haven't tried to change the firing order yet. Kind a stumped. the engine has a TBI installed
no error codes in computer.

.................. I should say I noticed the firing order was not right when it would not idle.

I changed the firing order to standard rotation which it should be, set timing and it will idle now but not responsive.
Perhaps the OP is mistaking firing order for ignition advance!!??

Chris, I agree that your assessment may be right on!

Sometimes we deviate from what may be the most obvious to some, and we elaborate on other issues that may be in question.

Hopefully the OP will come back and post his resolve.

Last edited:
Is that why you got banned from the bayliner owners club ?. You deviated too many times and got spanked.

Dear SUMMER HEAT,

I have found the tone on this forum to be extremely civil. I really would appreciate it if you would refrain from contemplating starting "troll-like" postings.

Let's all KEEP it civil here...please;)

Dear SUMMER HEAT,

I have found the tone on this forum to be extremely civil. I really would appreciate it if you would refrain from contemplating starting "troll-like" postings.

Let's all KEEP it civil here...please
;)

Ayuh,.... My thoughts as well,.....

Bondo, Jeff, Rick, others...

You guys do a great job. This is an awesome forum.

Thanks for helping boat owners like me to build up the courage to tackle projects that I'd otherwise shy away from.

I've learned a lot here.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support… I appreciate that!

Apparently "Summer Heat" has nothing better to do with his time than to cyber stalk me!
This person (it's obvious who this is!) gives us an example of how some people are threatened by the knowledge of others!

Hopefully the OP here has solve his issue by now.

Last edited:
Back