Logo

2000 Honda 90 HP

Bryan44

Hello Everyone and thanks for letting me Join
this is my first Honda and my first 4 stroke, really liking this motor but as the summer is winding down its time to winterize,
so I go to get my motor oil and lower case oil and the guy at the marina says everyone is using 25w 40, the engine calls out for 10 w 30,
is this correct??
Also its a hard to start engine once it has sat for a week, on my other motor here was a fast idle lever to help with starting not seeing one on this one
although the manual says it should have one,
I know I should of talked to the first owner but I got this deal through a bad divorce and a 3rd party

Thanks

It seems odd that the BF115 /30 Fuel injected motors have a fast idle lever and the carburated 90 like yours that really needs it, does not have it!
The manual says SAE10W-30 motor oil AND API standard (GL-4) SAE 90 outboard motor gear oil for the lower unit.
I believe some suggestions come from the days when multi-viscosity oil did not exist.
that 10W-30 , with the W for "Winter" translates to something like "behaves like 10 weight at 0 degrees celcius and protects like 40 in 100C temps" - but even that is another wive's tale - hondadude and others will know - there are some very generous and talented people on this forum.

The 25w40 is used in Mercury's. It is a semi synthetic. Do not use it in your Honda.

Use 10w30 only.

Is your motor carbureted or fuel injected?

What type of shifter do you have. I do not remember seeing any shifter that you can not put into throttle only mode and advance the throttle.

Mike

The 25w40 is used in Mercury's. It is a semi synthetic. Do not use it in your Honda.

Use 10w30 only.

Is your motor carbureted or fuel injected?

What type of shifter do you have. I do not remember seeing any shifter that you can not put into throttle only mode and advance the throttle.

Mike
I think he may have been expecting on of these, with the independent throttle / "choke" lever , which I have seen on fuel injected motors, which seems silly
shift1.jpg

no it does not, Mike thanks for the info , glad I waited to buy oil, my older boat did have a lever like that but not this one, I will take a pic and post it,
once it does start it does run well, and I am sure a throttle lever would help, seem like I not getting gas right away

If it is a carbureted 90, it does need the throttle advanced pretty much to start easily. Once you post the picture of your shifter, I think we will be able to solve the mystery.

Mike

Back