Logo

50 hp johnson lower unit warped

ShayneCastonguay

Contributing Member
So my Johnson 50 hp (1982) had a lower unit crack that leaked all the oil and caused it to bind up. I sent the lower unit casing to a friend who does aerospace welding and had it welded closed. The problem is that the bottom of the output section of the casing (where the transmission goes) is slightly warped, and no longer perfectly round. The transmission now does not fit in all the way. Ideas to get it in there? Grinding down material proved very tough because the warped part is towards the back. Is there a way to bend it?

Posting a picture before the welding is done would have been helpful.............I often tell people " this is precision stuff, the metal can be welded but the parts will no longer fit properly on assembly" ---------Look for a good used housing as lots are available.

Thanks guys, I may talk to a friend who owns a machine shop to see what my options are for CNC work, but I'm not giving it much faith. Any idea where to find a cheap casing? I haven't had any luck on craigslist and I've been searching for a while.

Back