Logo

Is there a trick to removing molded water hoses?

steven_p

I bang my knuckles and struggle like heck to break the soft molded water hoses loose on my RWC Crusaders every fall when I winterize them. I have to pry them loose with a screwdriver which I know isn't good for them.

Is is there a trick to breaking these things loose? Is there a dressing I can apply so they don't fuse to the castings over the season?

Last edited:
I bang my knuckles and struggle like heck to break the soft molded water hoses loose on my RWC Crusaders every fall when I winterize them. I have to pry them loose with a screwdriver which I know isn't good for them.

Is is there a trick to breaking these things loose? Is there a dressing I can apply so they don't fuse to the castings over the season?

Why do you find it necessary to remove the hoses? One of these, or a tool like should help. http://www.jbtoolsales.com/lisle-80210-short-hose-remover/

Use a heat gun if you want to save the hose. If that is not the case use a knife and or hack saw. When reinstalling a bath of silicone and heat.

Why do you find it necessary to remove the hoses? One of these, or a tool like should help. http://www.jbtoolsales.com/lisle-80210-short-hose-remover/
Yup that is a good tool but I think I made a better version...I had the end, about 1 1/4 inches, of an old flat blade screw driver bent back to form a slightly open "J" and then had the edges 'hammered" a bit so there are no sharp edges, very slightly "U" shaped. Really easy to slide under the stubborn hose and get it released.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Erich,
I remove the large t-stat hose and the water pump/oil cooler hose to get all the water out. I drain my system, I don't use anti freeze. I pull the water pump off, turn it upside down, and turn the pulley to release any water within the pump.

All neat tricks. If you have to remove one of those wire reinforced hoses--that are a b*tch to get off--I have a way (assuming you don't want the hose). Normally, you'd just splice the sucker lengthways with a knife, but that wire in there makes that difficult. The easy way is to dig out the end of the wire, grab it with pliers, and rip the wire out of your way. A knife then does the rest easily.

Jeff

All neat tricks. If you have to remove one of those wire reinforced hoses--that are a b*tch to get off--I have a way (assuming you don't want the hose). Normally, you'd just splice the sucker lengthways with a knife, but that wire in there makes that difficult. The easy way is to dig out the end of the wire, grab it with pliers, and rip the wire out of your way. A knife then does the rest easily.

Jeff
Yup that will work. At one point I had to use a sawzall...cut about 1 inch from end of pipe, through the rubber and wire, locked on the vice-grips and twisted the remaining ^%&$* hose off.,

Yeah, they can e a b*tch! I had a bad back at the time I was replacing the fuel hoses on my boat--had to crawl over the exhaust pipes to get at one of them. Uuuuh!

Jeff

Back