Logo

tacho not working 75hp 2 stroke Mercury

gboy99

My tacho stopped working last time I used boat. Took it back to dealer to investigate. The battery was charging normally but tacho did not work. They said electrics at outboard was OK. They connected another tach which did not work so they suspected possible issue with wiring loom? They re-connected old tacho and magically it worked again without changing any parts. Started outboard at home on muffs last weekend and tacho not working again. I noticed that the volt meeting on my sounder read 14.3amps when outboard was running and back to 12.4amps when outboard off so I assume changing is normal. Is there something else I need to look at or check?

You found your problem: bad stator (assuming there's not a bad connection on the wires coming from it).

Jeff

My money is on the rectifier/regulator as they are know for failure. It has a seperate tach output which can fail but still charge and regulate. If it was a bad stator you would have constant low/no voltage increase on your sounder display

move the wire feeding the tack to one of the wires coming from the stator...either one...if the tach works you have a bad regulator..

Back