Logo

Honda 225 , lower end. I notice evidence of oil weeping out of holes.

Loreto Tony

Above the upper lower end oil filler plug I noticed traces of oil coming out of holes near the upper filler plug. I have not checked to see if oil level is down. Any suggestions?

Yes, photo's would be most helpful. And do check the oil level of the lower unit and the engine oil after running the engine in gear. Check to see if either are milky, indicating water incursion. Then, with the top filler opening on the lower unit closed back up, pull the lower fill plug and inspect for metal filings on the magnetic plug. A bit of stuff, like talcum powder is normal, but bigger pieces are not, assuming it is not a new engine.

reminder if hole I think it can travel down drive shaft or shift rod so don't rule out shift shaft seal or somewhere up top..use flash light after use look under middle cowling can see oil reside usually if coming down from there

Yes pictures will definitely help. There are a couple different reasons for oil weeps. Aristakat and I both have seen the oil come down the shaft seal and exit down by the lower. But just to be sure you dont have a major problem, post up some pics.

Back