Logo

454 sea chest sizes?

Saltshaker

Contributing Member
Hi all, i'm looking for something to make a nice seal over my sea chests so i can run the motors easily and winterize while out of the water. the boat is a 31 '94 tiara with 454's. I tried a nice 3" pvc threaded cap but it was too big. looks like i need 2 3/4" or so. basically i want to pop the sea chest cap and insert something connected to a hose / barrel. My friend has a decent rubber piece that fits its just not that snug but it does work.

How do others do this?

thanks

By "sea chest" I assume we're talking about the strainer. I installed a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 X 3/4" tee between the strainer & the pump intake hose with a pipe plug in the 3/4 side. To winterize close the sea cock take out the plug. I have a length of heater hose with a 3/4 pipe nipple in the end. Screw it into the tee place the other end in a bucket of antifreeze. However I have not used it since the bad days of mixing up a 50/50 batch of green stuff. The gallon jugs of pink are very easy to pour into the top of the strainer with the engine running at idle. I just line 5 gallons up with the caps off & dump them in

I winterize my boat the same way Lou, but on the boats at work I have a 3 way valve and a box so when I winterize the genny I just put the valve in the right position, dump the antifreeze in the box and run untill almost empty. It is real handy as the strainer in so low in the bilge.

Back