Logo

Evinrude 200hp VRO fuel pump - excessive oil consumption???

shuler330

I have a 96' Evinrude 200hp with the VRO fuel/oil pump. How much oil should it use? On start up it really smokes bad. Looks like the Navy's landing craft when they hit the beach. After it warms up it gets much better. It seems to be using way more oil now than it ever did. I did find a fuel leak. The 3 way tank valve had cracked and was leaking. I have replaced it and checked all the fuel lines. No leaks found. I know in my manual it says the VRO pump will consume excessive oil if there is a leak in the fuel system. The oil consumption has not gotten much better (if at all) since I repaired the leak. Do I need to rebuild/replace the pump or could something else be the culprit? What should be the normal consumption of oil?

My 98 150 with VRO was using twice as much oil as usual. I found a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm. Repaired using kit # 0436095. The manual describes the repair and test. Still smokes a lot on startup but oil use is back to normal approximately 50 gallons gas to 1 gallon of oil.

If you read the label a 50:1 ratio is one ounce of oil per gallon of gasoline. There is 128 oz. in a gallon so theoretically you should get 128 gallons of gasoline per gallon of oil. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

I'm not sure where you get those numbers, 50:1 means 50 gallons of gas to one gallon of oil. My charts say it's 2.5 ounces of oil to a gallon of gas (US measurements).

Back