Logo

2004 BF90 hard to steer?

wijames

I have a 2004 BF90 that is very hard to steer. I've already checked to make sure it wasn't the cable but it's nice and free. I pumped the grease fitting full of waterproof grease and tried some PB blaster at the top of the spindle but just can't seem to get it loosened up. Any other suggestions?

I have a 2004 BF90 that is very hard to steer. I've already checked to make sure it wasn't the cable but it's nice and free. I pumped the grease fitting full of waterproof grease and tried some PB blaster at the top of the spindle but just can't seem to get it loosened up. Any other suggestions?
not sure this is helpful at all, but a friend sent me this email about her hard to steer BF90 and a local wizard:

- With some boiling grease and some external heat he was able to free the steering cable and it is more than sufficient to use again. He will bore out the tube, return the cable, and pack it with grease.

- This in itself is no different than what we've done before, but this time he will install a "steering saver" at the end of the line which locks in the grease and locks out the salt air. Duh. Not all steering lines have the necessary threads to add this item, but ours does. Voila.

- In addition he will replace the current steering box with a "no feedback" box. This is necessary for an engine as big our our Honda in order to prevent it from pulling to one side or the other. While the steering wheel is off he will also solve the small issue of the wheel rubbing on the helm. Another duh.

The grease fittings only lube the axis on which it tilts up and down.

What I do is turn the motor all the way to one side (so the rod is exposed on the other) and slather it in transmission fluid or heavy oil. Im not sure if this is by the book, so dont quote me, but it is what I do.

I appreciate both of your comments but it's not the steering cable thats giving me problems. It's the motor pivot thats binding. There only seems to be one grease fitting in the pivot, located near the bottom. I have a feeling that the previous owner used the wrong kind of grease and the grease has stiffened up. Does anyone know if it might help to remove the grease fitting and apply some heat to the area to melt the old grease out and then refill it with the good stuff?

Back