Logo

1998 Evinrude 90 HP Warm Starting

windknotnc

Our 1998 Evinrude E90TSLECM runs great however we have a persistent problem with warm starts. To begin with the carbs have be gone through and cleaned/inspected 3 times. I installed new kits including removal of knockout plugs. The fuel tank, lines, water separator, bulb, and connector to engine is new and functioning properly. All fuel hoses between the fuel/oil pump have been inspected and the hard ones or those with any solf ends replaced. The fuel pump was disassembled, inspected, and reinstalled. The Primer solenoid is pumping fuel when the key is pushed in and turned. The link and synch procedure has been followed. When cold starting the engine we pump the bulb tight, advance the throttle, push in the key and turn until the engine fires. At this point there is the obvious smoke and revving engine which sometimes cuts off but can be restarted easily. Once warm the engine idles perfectly at 700-750 rpm. It takes the gas well in all ranges of power and has no issues when running. Once warm the engine will restart by just bumping the key within 15-20 min of having been run; however, if the engine sits for much more time than that it requires the entire cold start process again. Shouldn't this engine restart very easily even after a couple hrs sitting? What is causing this warm restart problem?

" Shouldn't this engine restart very easily even after a couple hrs sitting? What is causing this warm restart problem?"

Yes one would think so especially in warm weather. I would suggest that you confirm that the thermostats are operating correctly and that the engine is reaching normal operating temperature.

" Shouldn't this engine restart very easily even after a couple hrs sitting? What is causing this warm restart problem?"
With todays fuel if you set more than a couple of hours the fuel vapor in crankcase evaporates due to internal temp of engine, thus the need to reprime crankcase(cold procedure). That also one reason it smokes on restarting as fuel vapor is gone leaving oil in crankcase.

Last edited:
I do not believe there is a " problem " if you have to use a cold start after 3 hrs.----------I won't go into details but most folks are now comparing their older outboards to new cars with " just push the button " technology.

i ran a 1994 90 evinrude for 16 years and ignored the ''problem''...nature of the beast...didnt have to feather the choke once it fired though...

I've been through this. It called heat soak. Gas with ethanol at causes a kind of vapor lock in the vst. Some gas may be listed as 10% but my tests show more. These late 90's jonnyrudes don't like ethanol. Especially in warm temp. The heat under the cowling from the engine causes the temp to go up when sitting. The vapors from the ethanol flashing off trap the fuel in the vst and carbs. As the engine cools the vapor pressurize the bowls. ect.

It happens very often on hot days right? Well here is what I do.

After a run I let the engine idle for about 10 min before shutting it off. This help get colder fuel into the system.
Make sure keep you fuel line shaded. if its sitting in the sun your just pushing more vapors into the carbs. Thats what causes the lean pops form time to time if you get those
If anchoring for a while I will pop open the engine cowling to allow the heat to escape.
It never happens to me in the colder months. Also, If you can get non etenol fuel, you will never have this problem again.

Last edited:
never had the lean pops but you are right about the heat...it was never that big a deal to me and happened rarely...you can tell the difference between this and a real problem anyway....just like a cold start....i run ethanol..

Back