Logo

Need a impeller for my 2002 9.9 honda

jackd

Contributing Member
I need some help finding a impeller . You guys helped my figure out of my jam and got my carb rebuilt . Trying to sell it now the impeller is bad but the model I have I cant find . I have a 2002 BFT9.9LHS and can it be gotten from the site so I can give back to the site and the help I have gotten so far .

I sued the guy and he still didnt pay me . The question I have now is it was in salt water and you can see corrousion inside . When I bought it it ran ok and was pumping water . If I put the impeller and it pumps water does that mean its ok . I bought a 15 that was a 9.9 and found this out about the salt water after I fixed the dirt in the tank but rebuilding the carb . I want to fix it and give it away cheap because I bought a brand new motor after this experience .

Thanks for any help .

I found a impeller and ordered it . My question if its real corroded but pumps water . Does that mean its ok ? I dont want to sell it without disclosing what I found . I bought a new motor since this took me a yr with court and the process I went through . I rebuilt the carb to fix the dirt problem and then wasnt spraying water . I found all the corrosion when I took apart . If it pumps water does mean as long as its not in salt water it just satay the way it is .

They ALL get corrosion after a time. Even if they are operated in fresh water lakes ONLY. Many times the "corrosion" is nothing more than mineral or salt deposits. Some people swear by a product called "Salt Away" to help clean them up.

You put a mixture of Salt Away in a tub or trashcan of water and then run the engine with the thermostat removed. Then, flush with clear, fresh water and re install the stat. That's about all you can do besides trying to scrape the inside of the thermostat housing. But!...Be careful doing that because if the aluminum is damaged, you MIGHT "poke through" a water jacket. Scrape and probe GENTLY!

If the water pump is moving water out the exhaust and the tell tale is peeing you simply need to find out if it will not overheat after a good, hard run. If it doesn't overheat then that's all you can do and you will be ready to sell. You may then disclose to the buyer any and all defects that you deem important and that will put YOUR mind at ease.

When purchasing ANYTHING, "currently not new" "certified pre-owned" or, in plain old TEXICAN (my NATIVE TONGUE)..."USED"...... the old Latin "saw" CAVEAT EMPTOR is ALWAYS in effect. "LET THE BUYER BEWARE"

Consider this:

You feel that you were lied to....ok.....sorry that people do that....but it happens....and WE ALL know it happens!

You vow NOT to lie to or even....MISLEAD by omission....the person that buys it from you......GOODONYA sir!

HOWEVER! There may be something wrong with that 12 YEAR OLD engine that even YOU are UNAWARE of. If you sell that outboard to someone and it blows up tomorrow,.......is it YOUR fault? Probably NOT!

It may not be the buyer's fault either. BUT, he will probably have a completely different outlook on the matter than you do.

If you supply NO WARRANTY and make no GUARANTEES.....CAVEAT EMPTOR!

You do what you can to help others out but THEN....they are ON THEIR OWN.

That's MY story and I"M stickin' to it!

Last edited:
The story goes I bought from a boat shop . They took the serial number off painted and said was camoed for hunting . I am new to boats and had nobody who knew .

You are right its buyer beware . I am new to boats so I believed him . I may be too trusting . Turned out the guy is a shiester with many lawsuits and is fleeing the state and he did it before from what I found out . We have only 1 within a hr drive to fix motors .

The judge ruled in my favor but still didnt pay . Now I am trying to get what I can back . Just because you win out court doesnt mean they will pay . The courts knew him well .

The bottom end was so corroded I had to pound with a hammer and wood to break it lose . I will dosclose my whole experiece and give away cheap . It was sold as a 2005 15 hp when it was a 2002 9.9 and was a $1300 lesson I hope to not have to learn again.

Thanks for your advice . May somebody else learn from my experience .

Here is 2 picture of the motor . Any ideas What it looks like caused this and does that look real bad or will the motor be ok .

Attachments

• motor top vu.jpg
    motor top vu.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 26
  • motor hole side vu.jpg
    motor hole side vu.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 25
Back