Logo

1969 Tower of Power lower unit

utfyrfytr

I have a 1966 100HP and have been thinking about picking up a parts motor since every year parts become harder to find. I found a 1969 100 HP Tower of Power that ran great this summer until reverse quit working. I know the ignition system is different but was thinking if my engine died I could take the lower unit off of my 66 and put it on the 69. I assumed it would be an exact swap until the owner of the 69 said that he had a nearly new prop that I could have for my 66 because it would not work on his 69. That made me start to wonder if the swap from 66 to 69 would work. Question is does anyone know for sure? In looking at a prop application chart it shows the props to be the same for both years. Thanks for whatever info you can give.

It should fit,may be a different gear ratio but nothing a change of pitch won't cure.Best count the splines on the drive shaft and measure the bolt pattern

Good read, thanks. Just out of curiosity he said he had a 950ss. What does the ss stand for? I have seen it quite a few times and have always wondered what it meant. Thanks again for your help.

While I have you on the hook here. I need to change the throttle and shift cables on my 100hp. Does the bottom cowl come loose and drop down or something? It looks real difficult to get to the cable connections. Also in looking at my Seeloc repair manual it shows the gear ratio as being the same for all of the middle to late 1960, 100hp motors, so I would think both lower units are the same if the bolt pattern matches.

SS stands for solid state ignition......
I learn something new everyday,now all I have to do is remember it.
Removing the rear two pan bolts may let the pan down a little to give more room,on this particular job I wish for hands the size of my ever patient wife's hands.It is difficult to reach the spring loaded lever that holds the adjusting barrels in place and equally difficult to hold those barrels in place and insert the lever again,expect to lose some skin :D

Maybe if you were real nice to your ever patient wife you could talk her into doing it for you:) Thanks for all of your help and words of wisdom.

Maybe if you were real nice to your ever patient wife you could talk her into doing it for you:)
Many a time she did,and she has the pics to prove it,especially the one of the beautiful '69 Merc800 stripped on the kitchen table and she feeding the pistons back in :D

Back