Logo

Please Help diagnose 25Hp Johnson

dickera

I have a 25 HP Johnson outboard 2 stroke either a 1995 or 1997. I bought the motor used ran great good speeds, now the motor sounds great but it seems I have lost a lot of speed. the motor is mounted to a 14' smoker craft when i bout it would plane out with 3 guys in the boat now it has trouble with just me in the boat. This is used as a duck boat so maybe there is some wear on the propeller but doesnt look horrible. As I said it sounds smooth, but maybe a little less RPM from when purchased. This is my first outboard don't know very much about them. Any suggestions about what to look for or possible solutions. If the year needs to be more specific I can try and dig up the paperwork. Thanks

95 or 97 it is all the same, or is a 3 cylinder motor ?.--------Do a compression test and post results.-------------Have you maintained the water pump ?

Last edited:
Not all motors have a warning horn.-Some will slow the motor down via the powerpack when a hot condition is detected.

the motor does it all the time doesn't matter if it is just started or has been ran for awhile. Anytime I have it on the water. Do you think this could still be the problem if so how do I fix it thanks

I have not done maintenance to the water pump just visually know that it is pumping water I can see the stream. It is a 2 cylinder

A lot of these motors have the sticker / decal on the swivel bracket.--------They do not last like the metal tags of the 60's / 80's motors.

Back