Logo

Hot water discharge merc 15hp 2001

enzoNC

Hello, everybody, i have a problem with my mercury 15 HP 2 stroke years 2001, i have a very very hot water discharge, many smoke and when i ran the engine in a tank i have many oïl in the water after.

On the engine water pump has been change, sparks, fuel/oïl ratio is good 2%,carb has been tune like another merc 15hp who run good.

anyone has already have the same problem?

Thanks for your reply

Did you replace any of the gaskets or the cover seal when the water pump was serviced?

At this age you the rubber, particularly in the cover seal might be rotted and much of the cooling water could be blowing out into the lower unit instead of going up the water tube - ditto if the cover gasket wasn't replaced - a tear would likewise allow water to escape.

Second point - is it possible there is some crud in the water tube?

Steam coming out of the tell-tale is a sure fire indicator that "not enough" water is getting up the tube to the engine OR if it is it is escaping before circulating properly (which can happen with a bad base gasket or bad exhaust cover gasket).

Did it work fine "before" the water pump was serviced??

And finally, oil in the water is NORMAL. This is a two stroke - a fair bit of burnt/unburnt oil and gas goes out the exhaust (thru the prop) into the water.

This is why many locations have banned 2 stroke motors in their lakes...

Thanks for your reply, i haven't change any seal.

When i start the engine, i will wait 30-45 seconde before the water see the water discharge. When the engine is running, many water go out from the 2 big hole in the low of the driveshaft housing.

I will check the water tube ad the cove seal.

Thanks very much

Back