Logo

1997 200hp stalling out

captfrank

Ok sort of long story here. Had carbs rebuilt last year. Ran fine $2K later. Fogged engines over winter, spring runs fine. sits 1-2 months have issue that will not stay running. Take bowl nuts out spray crab cleaner in, lot of crap came out. Still runs crappy. Take cake bowls off and clean with carb cleaner, runs fine. Great right? well a week later start runs like crap/stalls unless you run it at lie 2500rpm. Take off carbs off again clean but no help. Yes used stabil and startron. used new gas/used a can same issue. guess rebuilt them for $2K again?

Carb rebuild should only be a few $100. Parts are very little $'s and there is max 6 hrs labour, but really should be 3 to 4 hours. The Jets must be blown out with lots of high pressure compressed air and the bowls should be polished clean if they show signs of having had water in them.

Have you got a water seperator filter in front of the engine? What micron is it?
Have you done a compression check? One of the potential issues of dirty carbs is that you can lean out a cylinder and melt a piston. If you are dealing with ongoing carb blockages you should do a compression test.

Carb rebuild should only be a few $100. Parts are very little $'s and there is max 6 hrs labour, but really should be 3 to 4 hours. The Jets must be blown out with lots of high pressure compressed air and the bowls should be polished clean if they show signs of having had water in them.

Have you got a water seperator filter in front of the engine? What micron is it?
Have you done a compression check? One of the potential issues of dirty carbs is that you can lean out a cylinder and melt a piston. If you are dealing with ongoing carb blockages you should do a compression test.

Yea it was running lean as I had to before choke it just to get it to run. No I have not done compression cheek I guess I should. I did not use the boat all season just driveway run. How fast can it get scewed up?

Automotive is fine. I use a cheap $25 one I bought years ago and whilst it might not give me perfect numbers I know if I have a bad cylinder. A leaned out cylinder can do a piston pretty fast so worth doing the compression check and being sure before investing in more carb work etc. The good news is that those engines are both simple and cheap to rebuild if you need to do that.

Ok I got a compression checker and I ran a compression check on all 6 cylinders. left bank 110, 115, 105 psi. Right ban 115, 115, 110. Not sure if that is good or bad

Back