Logo

water coming out the cap hydraulic pump (power steering pump) that drives clutch?

68seagoing

What could cause water to flow from under the cap of my hydraulic pump (power steering pump) that actuates the clutch on my Dana drive. When I start the motor within 1 minute there comes quite a bit of water flowing around the cap. Is there supposed to be water in there?

There are 2 small water lines that run from the side of your water pump to the hydraulic pump. I assume there is an "oil cooler" there that may be leaking.

There are 2 small water lines that run from the side of your water pump to the hydraulic pump. I assume there is an "oil cooler" there that may be leaking.

The only two lines I see. Is one that comes out of the pump near the bottom (starts metal and ends into the thing on the transmission. The connection there is a T from which the line continues up on top just behind the flywheel where it joins another larger hose that leads back to the pump. I have yet to find an oil cooler. I've seen pictures of them but I can't find it on my engine. The manual I have also talks of a cooling configuration that does not use an oil cooler but it doesn't ever mention a hydraulic pump (aka power steering pump.

I'm baffled. Is the pumps sole purpose to shift the actuator on the transmission? Im really baffled that if its a separate system how water is in it.

I have a 1971 houseboat with a Chrysler 318 and Dana outdrive. On the water pump there are 2 lines, about 1/8 or 3/16 inch, that come out of the water pump and go to the hydraulic (power steering) pump.

The sole purpose of the pump is to actuate the clutch during shifting (yes, it actually has a clutch). This allows for a very smooth shift.

Back