Logo

Advice needed for motor please.

bmcduffy

I have a 67 lb thrust motorguide trolling motor that cuts off after a couple of minutes use. It is not getting hot to touch. the cables are not hot. it just cuts off when I need to stay on the trolling motor for several minutes. after it cuts off I can wait about one minute and it will start again when e it for 5 or 10 minutes, then it will run for several more minutes and start all over again. the motor has not been used much but has been on the boat for several years.
do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to share with me.

the decision is whether its the feed to the motor or the motor itself..the only way i know to trouble shoot it is to get inside the head and attach a meter to the leads feeding the motor...you may have to skin some wires and re tape them later..have you checked the battery(batteries) and the connections closely?you could have corroded wire right at the connections adding resistance to the circuit....make sure these wires are as flexible up close to the lug as they are away from the lug...does the motor have the power it should have before the failure?..
you could have resistance anywhere in the feed all the way back to the batteries...you will only feel heat at that point...resistance causes heat..heat causes resistance to go up...the meter will tell you which way to go....if the meter reading is as strong when the motor stops as it is when running(if the motor has good power when its running) then the problem is the motor or the wiring going to it...it could be brushes or water in the motor..if it has water in it then the motor is probably ready for the junk heap...

Just a little comment here. Sounds like an auto reset breaker tripping to me. My Motorguide 55 Wireless requires a 50 amp circuit breaker. It will trip a 30 amp after a short period of running. Check your manual for requirements of your unit.

Thank you Dave. I will follow up on that. I went out and looked and it has a 20 amp breaker! I just bought the boat so I am sorting it all out. Could it be that simple? Wouldn't that be a great start to my week! Thanks again, I will update my progress.

Back