Logo

a lil help on motor choice

good aft all well this is my first post and I hope I posted in right spot -----well I recently aquirred a 1988 starcraft sfm 160 with out a motor thad a2006 40hp evinrude etec n it the guy took it off leaving me with a new controller and no motor my question is I would like to re install a Johnson or evinrude I the 90hp range in the used engine market any specific yrs or models I should stay away from? I have a lead on a 90hp vro which I can get for nothing say needs work any thoughts? again ty sarge

I think it really depends on how and how much you plan to use the boat & motor. If you are looking at run times of 100 hours or more per year, or lots of low-speed putzing around or trolling, I would recommend a four-stroke engine for several reasons, including fuel economy, low pollution, fewer carbon up issues, and general economy. The down side of a four-stroke is that they are heavier than an equivalent horsepower two-stroke and they are typically more maintenance-intensive, especially the fuel-injected four-strokes with their two fuel pumps and two or more fuel filters.

Whatever engine you buy, get to know it well and invest in a good shop manual specific to that engine.

The best thing you can do for any marine engine is to run it often and at times, run it hard.

Back