Logo

Electric Choke

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
I have an electric choke on my '66 80hp Starflite. What position should the lever on the motor be in to use the electric choke? Choke on, automatic, or choke off?

Hmm, not sure, but I'd go with auto. Put the switch there, and try using the choke. See if the linkage moves.

my '72 50 hp has the same three positions, and it doesn't run off a thermostat. If I put mine to off, the electric choke won't work. I have to leave mine in the Auto position.

The elecxtric choke's manual override lever should be in the "Auto" position in order for the electric solenoid to be able to close the butterfly.

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to understand how this all works. I put it in the automatic position and the butterflies are closed so holding down on the electric switch doesn't really do anything, so I'm wondering if I have the bi-metal spring set correctly. When cranking the engine should the butterflies open up and then close while pushing the electric choke switch?

There is a heat exchanger in the exhaust.-------When motor warms up hot air is drawn into the engine across the bi-metallic spring.----That controls tension on butterflies. ---Fairly simple technology.

I understand the heat opens them up but what is the purpose of the electric choke if the bi-metal spring is holding the butterflies shut until it warms up? On mine pushing the choke switch doesn't seem to do anything unless the engine is warm and the tension is off the bi-metal spring, then they will close when pushing the choke switch.

Thanks kimcrwbr1 your info worked. I just needed to lean it some. Now, on the automatic position the butterfly valves are closed on cold engine. When first crank they open a little but once choke switch is pushed they close. Engine starts right up and valves open pretty quick.

Back