Logo

550 hours on BF150's--what to do at this point.

twin 150

Contributing Member
I've been the original of both motors since new in 2009. Other than an alternator, these two motors have been flawless. I did the thermostats and VST's, about 100hours ago. But other than that, I've not done anything to these motors. I'm ready to do whatever they need, but honestly, throwing parts at a motor seems a bit silly if they run like clock-work. I know that I may take some flack for not changing more, but, now I'm ready. I have been religious at performing Oil changes with pure synthetic. I know it's a waste, but, I really don't mind. It's something I can do. Everything else it goes to a dealer.

Plugs is about all I can think of.

Well, I'm sure you will (actually, I will) get differences of opinion on this but these engines are equipped with a pretty long timing chain and guide system. While I do think that 550 hours is much too early for worrying about failure in that area, wear WILL be taking place and, if you wanted to be completely proactive, a verification of timing component alignment along with valve lash adjustment would not be unreasonable.

I would also opt for the complete water pump kit instead of just an impeller change the next time that service comes up.

Good luck.

The spark plugs are definitely due to be changed if they are not already welded into the head. Once you get them out this time, hopefully not striping the head, then be sure to remove them at every 100 hour maintenance interval and put a light coat of grease on the threads.

When is the last time you pulled the props and greased the splines? That should be done on a regular basis - every 100 hours.

If you have an external Racor-type fuel water separator, that likely needs to be changed, as does the LP and HP fuel filters.

Remove the external anodes and weigh them. If they have lost more than 40% of their weight, replace them.

There are several grease points and Zerk fittings that need to be tended to, including the throttle cables and tilt/trim mechanism.

The Official Helm Shop Manual for those engines will give you all the detail you will need to do the maintenance - plugs, water pump, etc. It's a very good investment. Available through Amazon or eBay. Don't even consider getting the cheap Clymer or Seloc manuals - too many errors and omissions.

Nice approach there chawk_man.
Good, sound advice for the care and feeding "of"......
.......I think that your experience the the 225 is showing:~)

Yep, I guess you're right, Jimmy. Whenever I pull the boat for maintenance, it's in the driveway for 2 or 3 days and my neighbors wonder over to see what's going on. I'll always have the shop manual sitting on a table and go through it page by page. They always comment on how much maintenance I "must" do on that boat and engine, and there's always some comment about the meaning of B-O-A-T (break out another thousand) or having a hole in the water that you throw money into, or "they only thing that works on an old boat is its owner." However, they all see that every time I drop the boat in the water off the lift in front of the house, it starts every time on the first try and I've never have had to be towed in. Six years and nearing 1700 hours and not even a stutter on that engine proves the value of good maintenance.

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the step-by-step. Its funny how often I've actually done some of the maintenance items that have become so routine that mentioning them doesn't register. I've replaced the zincs this summer. I grease zerks like clock-work every single April. Also, every April the entire motor is douched in red CorrosionX spray and it sort of drip dry's over a few day period. So, there is that. :)

So, what I probabl should have asked was "what mechanical maintenance should I do?" With the awesome responses, I have some idea what to tell my Honda guy what I want him to do.

Thank you Again!

Back